Dogs with Seizures in Classes

Thread: Dogs with Seizures in Classes

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultDogs with Seizures in Classes

Reba is 6 and started having seizures when she was about 2 1/2 years old. At that time I quit taking her to classes. She was great at obedience and agility and we were having lots of fun back then. Guess the question is: Do people take dogs that have seizures to class? She is not on any medication except her thyroid meds, and does not have seizures very frequently. Generally about every 5 to 6 months, except the last one was only 6 weeks after the previous. Since we exercise by walking and playing every day, I do not think that activity triggers the seizures.

We will be signing up for obedience, not agility, as I would somewhat worry about her on the equipment.

Guess I will find out tomorrow when I go to register the dogs, whether they will let us participate. Please let me know if your dog has seizures and if you are still able to take them to class.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dogs with Seizures in Classes

Typically a seizure occurs during quiet times not when the dog is active. There is no reason for you not to take your dog to obedience classes if you wish to do so. Nor do I think you are obligated to tell the instructor. Register and have a good time. Good luck to you. Pat
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

Your are correct. Most of Reba's seizures have been when we were relaxing in the evening, except for when they started when she was 2 1/2 years old. There were a few days that she had more than one and not always in the evening. Thyroid meds seemed to solve a lot of the problems she was having. However her next to last seizure was late afternoon when we had company. We were near the barn with the company and the dogs were in the fenced yard.

I did sign up for classes and did NOT mention the seizures. Really looking forward to taking some more classes; it has been a long time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Have you discussed the seizures with your vet? We had an epilectic dog. When he was put on Phenobarbitol they stopped. We continued him on a maintainance doseage for 14 years, he was 1 year old when they started. He never had a seizures in that period. They came back even with the Pheno for the last 3 months of his life.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

My vet is aware of Reba's seizures. Back in the beginning, I consulted at least 3 vets. None wanted to start on pheno. I actually took Reba to the vet in September, after her last seizure. They do not want to start any meds until she has them more often.