Blood in poop ties to food?

Thread: Blood in poop ties to food?

DefaultBlood in poop ties to food?

We have switched Payton over to Orijen fish due to allergies and noticed the itching subsided, but his stooles are inconsistent and some tend to have bloody mucus. We took him to the vet twice and they did fecal tests and they were negative for parasites both times. Could this relate to the food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Blood in poop ties to food?

Yes it could.

Do you know if they checked for giardia? It can cause inconsistent stools too with blood and mucus.

If, however, all this started with a food switch, I'd be suspicious its the food.

Laura

Yes, they checked for that and it was negative. The food looks like the culprit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ok wow, how could the food cause blood in the droppings?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

georgie is offline Senior Member

It could be the food. When we had our last lab boarded at a really nice kennel, :, they let Shadow out with another black lab & then put them in the wrong kennels. Shadow ate the other dog's food the rest of the week & when we brought her home she had colitis. She had bloody, mucousy stools for a few days & it took awhile for her tummy to settle. The vet said it was stress colitis & being boarded & getting the wrong food just messed her system up.

Needless to say we never used that boarding place again.

I was told is could be stress associated with the food change. We did the gradual switch, but somethings wrond. Any ideas besides obviously switching foods?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Have you tried cutting her back and seeing what happens..?? It's very hard for the body to deal with large amounts of excess calories, and it can often cause poop issues. Blood in poop refers to problems in the large intestine as opposed to the small one, which (from what I've read) means that it's caused by the condition of the waste entering it (due to the waste irritating blood vessels on the walls of the lrg intestine, causing the release of blood)

Personally, I've been having poop issues with my 7 month old. I increase his food because I think it should be increased, he gets diarrhea/yucky poop. I decrease it back down, and the diarrhea clears up like magic. So that is basically a major sign to me that I was giving him too much food and his body couldn't handle it.

Overfeeding can be just as bad, sometimes worse, than underfeeding. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Yes it could be the food. Not all foods will agree with all dogs, not matter the quality of the food. Just like some people can't tolerate cabbage or wheat or dairy or whatever.

When I switched Murray to Eagle Pack Holistic (a quality food), he had severe bloody, mucousy diarrhea. When I took him to the vet, the xrays showed an excessive amount of gas in his system. The vet said she'd never seen that much gas in a dog that didn't have bloat. The beet pulp in the food was irritating his intestines. I put him on boiled chicken & rice and a round of metronidazol (flagyl) then eventually back on his regular food (Chicken Soup). He improved immediately.