Drooling While Driving

Thread: Drooling While Driving

DefaultDrooling While Driving

Hi. This is my first post.

My dog´s name is Rodax and he truly hates car travel. Whenever I point out that we´re taking a drive (I live in a rural area so I have to do this if I want to get him to the vet), he just begins to drool like Pavlov´s dog when the bells started ringing.

Inside and with the car running, it just gets worse to the point I have to lay out newspaper sheets so the seats won´t end up getting soaked. Anyway, Rodax does, finishing the trip completely wet.

To make things worse, Rodax seems to dislike car travel so much he inevitably vomits. I guess he has motion sickness.

Does anyone else share a similar problem?

Regards from Costa Rica.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Drooling While Driving

Drooling is a sign of nausea. Some people give their dogs ginger snap cookies before traveling, some try dramamine. Have you taken your dog any place other than the vet when traveling in the car? If not, try taking him some place that is fun for him.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

How old is your dog? Kai was like this as a pup, but with more exposure to car travel, especially to fun places like the beach, he seemed to grow out of it in very short order. Now, he is perfectly fine in the car for trips of any duration. If he recognizes that we're going to the beach or the park, he gets visibly excited and very intent on the destination.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others. Drooloing is a sign of nausea. Some people say ginger snap cookies (a few) can help. maybe your vet could recommend something also.
    I would try short trips to fun places & see if it is better. Good luck.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger use to get car sick as a puppy. i tried ginger snaps and they worked. i also started putting a crack in the window to let her get fresh air....just like humans. i still put a crack even though she outgrew her car sickness.

brody is offline Senior Member

SHORT trips with Positive Outcomes can help

I feed my really car phobic dogs: A) beside the car B) in the car with the door open C) in the car with the door closed D) in the car with the engine running E) beside the car after a short drive (down the driveway- to the corner- whatever) F) in the car after a short drive

short drives to happy places (home, park, a favourite person - mcdonalds drive through - whatever) also make a HUGE difference

I take a LONG time to go through this and I use gravol if I have to do a longer trip before all the deconditioning is done

I spend at LEAST 6 hours a week in the car with the dogs and often MUCH more so an easy traveller is worth a huge investment of time for me

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Oh I can certainly relate to what you're dealing with! : Breezy had an AWFUL time in the car when she was younger. She still doesn't LOVE it, but is getting better. With the vomiting, don't feed him approx. 4 hours before having to travel in the car. About the drooling, um I don't have an answer for that, as Breezy still will drool but not nearly as much as before. I think for her it was more of an anxiety thing than motion sickness. Try just sitting in the car in the driveway with your pup. Don't go anywhere, just sit in the car and maybe give him a treat. Then get out. Do it again. Another treat. Then try getting in the car, and just going up and down the driveway. Treat. Then you can even feed him one of his meals in the car. The idea is to make it seem like a GREAT and FUN place to be! And that when you go in the car, it is going to be a WONDERFUL experience! I used to sit in the car with Breezy in the driveway and just tell her little happy-sounding stories for a few minutes. Then I'd get out. The neighbors must think I'm a total nut. When you ARE in the car with him and driving, be upbeat and sound like it's so much fun to be there and going somewhere. I usually sing songs (happy ones) the whole time and it calms her down. Keep trying, it will get better!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I had a friend who's dog did this. And he was a big guy, her backseat would be covered in drool. :-X

She started tiring him out before car rides, using a game of fetch in a nearby field. That worked well for her.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

scutter is offline Senior Member

I had to laugh when I saw the tag because I just started wearing a splint for tmj and I drool alot myself and wondered if it were you or the dog that was drooling. Just kidding On a similar question. what does is mean when a dog foams at the mouth. Sometimes (most often food related) Benelli foams at the mouth. When I am getting ready to feed him or if he has snuck into the trash or something like that he foams at the mouth and sometimes he sort of smacks his mouth is what I call it. you hear this clikcing of his mouth.

Just wondering, thanks for the input

Benelli's buddy