What do you do for major scrapes??

Thread: What do you do for major scrapes??

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you do for major scrapes??

I took Saba for a nice trail today, and just towards the end of it, he was running through some grass then in between some trees, and then I thought I heard some metal banging or something, I called him, he ran out all happy, tail wagging... we got home and just now I noticed that he scraped himself pretty bad. On his right arm he has a couple of little scrapes, and on his left one he has a pretty big one, about 1.5 inches long, and the hair is gone etc. It's not bleeding but it's all red. I washed it clean and applied polysporin, which of course, he already licked off.
    I'm just a bit worried... what else should I do? He had a scrape a year ago on his inner thight and it healed on it's own, but that was from a branch/tree. Now I'm worried that I heard metal noise... stupid question: do dogs get tetanus shots?? I just did some research on the net and it looks like they should get some antibiotics... am I overreacting... should I wait till Monday or call my vet now?? Oh boy.. my poor baby. He doesn't seem to worry about it just licks it from time to time but I wonder if I should apply more polysporin and bandage it so he doesn't lick it. Or should he lick it since it desinfects it...? Sorry for going on and on... any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you do for major scrapes??

I use Neosporin (which is like the polysporin) on scrapes on my girls. I would keep an eye on it & make sure it doesn't look infected. I would call the vet when they are open & ask about the metal. Not sure about that....maybe they would give oral antibiotics. Hope it heals quickly.

I'd continue washing it out really good and applying neosporin...just say NO when he goes to lick or is it in a spot you can put a t-shirt on him to keep him from licking. We've had lots of scrapes in our house and most of the time, they heal on their own in just that way, but it can take some time. Just keep a good watch that it's not getting infected.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Bag balm and vet wrap.

Laura

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys... I think I'll apply more polysporin on it for the night and will wrap it up since it's on his front legs.
    and I will call the vet on Monday. Just in case...