Wellness Core Low Fat Diet?

Thread: Wellness Core Low Fat Diet?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWellness Core Low Fat Diet?

Vet suggested I put Remington on the Wellness low fat food. It's grain-free and only 9% fat. He has gained 6 lbs this year. I'm so ashamed! I thought he was looking good from swimming, but alas he's a chubby bubby boy.

Anyway, vet (who is a personal friend) put her Golden on it for awhile to drop weight (we compete in agility) and said it made a huge difference in getting the weight off.

I currently feed Evo, it's 42% protein and 22% fat. The Wellness is 33% protein and 9% fat.

I'm going to try it, just wondering if anyone has used it and if you had problems associated with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

I fed it, had no problems.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I feed it to my two. They love it and have never looked better. Shiny coats, firm poos. Jefferson actually got more coat on it.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I add that to Champ's green beans (1/4 cup) and a few pieces to Buddy's at 8:00 pm, to keep the tummies full until breakfast.

Have you tried just cutting back a little on the food he already gets, and adding some green beans as a filler?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I feed TONS of greenbeans, all my dogs get greenbeans to fill them up.

My speciality feed store does not carry the lo-fat (I got into a little bit of an arguement with the store owner as he said "that's not a nutritionally sound diet." Well, duh, no kidding. It's not something I would leave the dogs on forever, just until we lose the weight, then switch back to the other and manage it better.

Anyway, I was in the store again today and the owners wife was in there and she said she'd order it for me for next week.

In the meanwhile, I've switched them to the Wellness Core... it's 34% protein and I believe 14% fat, and they've gone through one bag already (about a week) and I am seeing some weight loss on all of them (and Ruger does not need to lose weight so I will increase his amount).

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I feed TONS of greenbeans, all my dogs get greenbeans to fill them up.

My speciality feed store does not carry the lo-fat (I got into a little bit of an arguement with the store owner as he said "that's not a nutritionally sound diet." Well, duh, no kidding. It's not something I would leave the dogs on forever, just until we lose the weight, then switch back to the other and manage it better.

Anyway, I was in the store again today and the owners wife was in there and she said she'd order it for me for next week.

In the meanwhile, I've switched them to the Wellness Core... it's 34% protein and I believe 14% fat, and they've gone through one bag already (about a week) and I am seeing some weight loss on all of them (and Ruger does not need to lose weight so I will increase his amount).
    Why not try half the low-fat and half what you are using now? Not so drastic a change for the pup that way. Just a thought.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I've had my diabetic boy on the regular Wellness Core since it came out. He is doing extremely well and has maintained a steady weight of 79-82 lean pounds for 18 months.

I'm very pleased with the food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Fortunately my dogs do not suffer tummy problems and switching foods is not an issue. I generally use the last little bit of what I had them on, dump it on top of the new stuff when I open the bag and it just mixes as we use it up.

I don't want to be buying two kinds of food. It's a pain, especially if you have to have someone else feeding the dogs.

They do eat five RAW meals a week as well, so they are used to things being switched around quite a bit.

Thanks for the info. I think the Wellness is working, but I'd still like to put them on the lo-fat Wellness for a couple weeks to really get the weight off.

Come to think of it... I'd like to eat that stuff myself for a few weeks to get the fat off (me), LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I feed the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It's 25% protein and 15% fat and the boys are maintaining their weight on it. They get far less exercise than your pups do, so yours would probably lose weight on it. It's also cheaper than the Core.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy