food help needed please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food help needed please

Defaultfood help needed please

i recently spent 2 weeks doing a food switch for my 7 1/2 month old pup Storm. he went from purina pro-plan LBP to purina one adult large breed. i went from the pro-plan to One to hopefully save a little money. Storm seemed fine with the switch until we got to where he was eating 100% of the purina one and 0% of the pro-plan.
    i feed him 2x a day. 1st is all dry food. 2nd is dry with a 1/2 can of dog food to just give him a variety of some sort. so he isn't the same dry food 2 x a day every day, i don't think he likes the purina one too much. when i feed him his 1st feeding, several hours go by before he touches it. i tryed wetting it a bit and he did eat like that for a day or 2 but if i wet it now, the food will just sit there wet until it drys into a solid mass of dry food and he won't touch it at all.
    with the 2nd feeding, he eats that right away about 75% of the time. sometimes you can tell he trys to eat all the canned food out of the bowl before he eats the dry. he has a good appetite cause he will eat people food immediately or dog treats he will eat right away too
    he''s been having some gunky ears too that i'm dealing with. i know thatthe gunky ears can be caused by a food allergy.. he scratches alot too at times and the vet told me it was just allergies.
    is it okay to go and switch to another food so soon? i guess i have to if he's not eating the purina one. i really need to keep the cost of whatever food i switch to down. i know purina one isn't the best but i know it's not the worse either. any suggestions on what food may be good that doesn't cost more than the proplan but is better than the puina one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: food help needed please

A lot of people have success with Proplan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. I realize you are trying to keep costs down, but sometimes cheaper foods cost more in the long run, i.e., ear infections, vet bills and having to feed more of the food because they have cheap fillers in them.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

If he was doing well on Pro-plan I'd just start him on the chicken and rice adult formula and see how it goes.

I agree with the above post. Cheaper foods tend to cost more in the long run, not only because dogs need to eat so much more of them to get the nutrients they need, but also in vet bills, etc. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

One thing you need to consider is if it is a quality cheaper food.

Kirkland's Chicken and Rice (sold at Costco and made by Diamond) was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. Diamond Naturals is fed by many breeders, etc. Both are around 20 a bag- and very good.

Make sure when looking at the foods, you look at the ingredients. This is Purina Ones' Chicken And Rice:
    Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), non-fat yogurt, animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, caramel color, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    R-4154

This is Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice:
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Do you see how much further you can get in the Diamond before see something that you go.."huh? what's that?" It's typically the sign of a better food.

Anyway- cheaper isnt always bad, just pick the right cheaper.

Sounds like that he is holding out , waiting for dinner, mine do that if I feed them can food, they hold out and so do I. And I always swear to myself I wont give them can anymore.LOL :-\

Have you tried putting the food down for only about 20 minutes and then taking it away? Do this for a few days and see what happens.

As for Kirkland food, a lot of people have had ear problems since they reformulated their food.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think he is spoiled by the canned food and the reason he doesn't want his a.m. meal.

Then again, my Labs don't turn their noses up at anything no matter how I feed the kibble - just water added or extra chicken stock or meat.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I think he is pretty smart...waiting for the food with the canned food in it. I know you said about the cost...but if he was doing well on the ProPLan, I would just stick with it if he wasn't having problems. Cheaper food of a good quality would be okay if he does well on it...but that is a pain in the butt too, changing foods all the time. Good luck.

I've been feeding Kirkland now since they made the change (little over 2 years ago) and we've never had an ear problem. I did not feed the original formula...from what I can see, the ingredients in the formula now is better than the original. It's a decent food for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    I've been feeding Kirkland now since they made the change (little over 2 years ago) and we've never had an ear problem. I did not feed the original formula...from what I can see, the ingredients in the formula now is better than the original. It's a decent food for the price.
    I think it's an improvement, too - they made similar changes to their Diamond line (now called Diamond Naturals). I haven't fed Diamond for a while now (although I am feeding their new grain-free kibble), but I had no complaints with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast