Morning Poop OK, but not afternoon??

Thread: Morning Poop OK, but not afternoon??

DefaultMorning Poop OK, but not afternoon??

I noticed that while I have switched our guy to Orijen 6 fish (2 weeks now), he seems to have normal poop (for the most part) first thing in the morning and that's it. Afternoon comes and it's a mess! Why is this? Could it be the richness of the food? Are all of the foods like EVO, Orjien, etc.. rich?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Morning Poop OK, but not afternoon??

How much are you feeding?

Is he exercising around the time of the afternoon poop? When they exercise, it gets things moving faster and often dogs will have loose stool. The morning poop had all night to prepare

As was mentioned in your previous post about this food, you're probably feeding too much as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree that 4 cups of Orijen a day is way too much food.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Yes, it is right during excercising! I just don't see how two cups per day for a 85lb dog who's active can be considered appropriate? It's right what the bag states to feed him at his size.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolts21
    It's right what the bag states to feed him at his size.
    Bags always over state amounts. That way you go through the bag faster and therefore buy more.

Also, I think that you were feeding assuming he was classed as "active", and I think that that is inaccurate, based on yesterday's posts. "Active" is synonomous with "working", as in a border collie on a sheep farm, that sort of thing. 2 45 min walks per day is not "active".

I'd start him at 3 cups a day and see if that helps.

As posted yesterday, it is more about the kilocalories per cup that is important when deciding how much to feed. Orijen has a very high kcal/cup ratio.

For example, Orijen's kcal/cup ratio is 483 kcal/cup, if I'm not mistaken. The food that I am now feeding is 370 kcal/cup. That's a significant difference.

So if you and I were both feeding our dogs 4 cups a day, my dog would be getting 1480 kcal/day, and your dog would be getting 1932 kcal per day, even though we are feeding the exact same amount.

Does that make sense....?

ETA: too many kcals per day can cause the problems you're describing with her poops.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Kate (Baloo)'s post is dead on.

As I said yesterday, taking feeding advice from the dog food company is like taking nutrition advice from Kraft or anti-smoking advice from Philip Morris. It's not logical- they want you to buy MORE of their products, not less. So if you feed your dog 4 cups a day instead of 2, you're going through a lot more than if you feed 2.

Look at this way: my 15 month old girl eats a food that is 342 per cup. She gets two cups, plus a can of green beans. She also gets two "strings" of string cheese while training. So she's probably close to 1200-1300 kcals. This is her exercise: half hour of tracking training in evening with fiance; walks am/pm (if not, she goes to daycare); half hour of obedience training with me; plus an hour of running crazy at either the dog park or with her best bud. She is still not classified as an active dog.

Your dog is getting 4 cups a day. 483 x 4=1900 give or take. Plus, if you give him any treats, etc, add those in. While Orijen may be too rich of a food for your dog, I would still strongly suggest that you are feeding way too much. You mentioned that you do not want your dog to lose weight- but frankly, I think GAINING is much bigger problem to deal with.