Soft tissue sarcoma (cancer) Help / advice wanted please

Thread: Soft tissue sarcoma (cancer) Help / advice wanted please

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultSoft tissue sarcoma (cancer) Help / advice wanted please

I noticed a big lump under my boys tongue last weekend after taking him for a walk. I got him straight to the vet & got it removed. The biopsy results came back on Thursday. Soft tissue sarcoma. Apparently it's pretty aggressive if left untreated. I swear it wasn't there 24 hours earlier as I have been poking antibiotics down his throat every morning & surely I would have seen it. The weekend before, he had TWO vets look at him for his annual check up & vaccinations & they didn't see it either.

There is one treatment here in Australia - a human pain killer called Feldene D. One of the side effects is that it stops this cancer from growing. Another side effect is that it can also affect kidney function which brings me to my next problem. Jo was close to kidney failure about 18 months ago. We have been treating that with Vasotop 5 & the last blood test I had done back in January said he was almost normal again. I'm waiting on the results of the blood test from yesterday to see if his kidneys can handle Feldene. If they can, I'll start on them immediately.

Has anyone else had this?. What was the prognosis?. How did you treat it?.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Soft tissue sarcoma (cancer) Help / advice wanted please

No advice. I just wanted to say I will keep your boy in my prayers.

Sorry, no idvice either from my end but, hoping his blood test come back as normal. Is there anything else the vet suggested other than this treatment? It's only POSSIBLE side effect, right? It doesn't mean it will happen. If he is monitored while on it, he will be ok????

Hoping Jo will be a healthy puppy again soon!!! Be strong!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

I got a call from the Vet yesterday. The blood tests came back ok so I started him on the Feldene last night. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it helps. :-\

Another side effect of this drug is that it can cause vomiting and / or diarrhea. I was told if this happens to stop the pills immediately. That's all very well if I know it's happening. Since Mum passed away, they've been home alone while I work up to 10 - 12 hours / day. The neighbour is comming in & checking on them twice / day but that's only good if she sees him be sick otherwise I wont know.

IF this doesn't work there's no other treatment available unless someone knows of some other miracle treatment. ???

Can they not remove it surgically?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry.

If they already removed it though, they must've take wide enough margins to get it so it doesn't spread. No?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry. I don't have anything to add.

Janice (Mattgusmum) lives in W.A. and is knowledgeable. You could pm her.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

So sorry to hear this.

I don't know much about cancer or the different types in canines but there is a cancer section that talks about diet for cancer at this web site that may be helpful.

www.dogaware.com

I have also heard of a human/animal product called Essiac that can be purchased in health food stores.

The only other thing I can add is that back in the late 70's early 80's we had 2 dogs with cancer - mother and daughter (very little known about it in dogs back then). The grand daughter developed a lump on her chin (very small) that looked exactly like how the other two had started.

I had this GD on alfalfa tablets for Hip Dysplasia and noticed not to long after starting the alfalfa that the spot on her chin had dissappeared.

Perhaps you can research to see if there is a relation of alfalfa to cancer.

Prayers that his kidneys hold up on the meds. Be sure and do blood work regularly to keep an eye on it.