allergies maybe?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: allergies maybe?

Jacque is offline Member

Defaultallergies maybe?

I posted a question yesterday about my pup being too lethargic for her age and got no responses so I guess no one had an answer or suggestion which doesn't surprise me since my vet can't figure it out either. I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering if she is allergic to her food. She is way too sleepy all the time, finished her antibiotics but still seems off. She has a runny nose all the time and gets the "eye boogers", pants when it is not hot and just doesn't seem to be breathing right sometimes. I thought it might be her food so i didn't feed her first thing this morning just to see if anything would change...sure enough, on our walk she wasn't sneezing, didn't have snot coming out of her nose or the eye boogies and seemed to have more energy. Could she be allergic to her food or is this incident just coincidence? I use Purina One Large Breed Puppy Food (she is 5 months old).
    -JACQUE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's unusual for a Lab puppy to be lethargic -- have you talked about this with your vet?

If you want to try another food, you might try a small bag of "Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food" (not plain Diamond, Diamond Naturals is a higher grade).

Here's a link to the Diamond dealer locator:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Jacque is offline Member

I have been to the vet every week for the last month trying to solve this. We did x-rays on her chest and he thought it looked like the begining of pneumonia so we hit it with stronger antibiotics which cleared it up and we thought we were done but the first day after the antibiotics were finished, it started happening again. Laziness, snot and excessive eye boogies (sorry..that's what we call 'em). 3 weeks worth of antibiotics should have nipped it, but has done nothing. In my non-veterinary opinion, I'm thinking the antibiotics just retarded the allergies which is why they started up again after she finished them.
    -JACQUE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jacque is offline Member

i looked and there are a few suppliers near my house that carry that product. What is it that you like about that type of food?
    -JACQUE

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Did they do a blood test?

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Also wondering about blood values...

Has she been checked for parasites/worms? How are her BMs?

While it doesn't sound like allergies to me (that and shes awfully young for allergies, really) I would try and get her on a better food.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

If the pup is having allergy symptoms (ie. running nosy, runny eyes, etc.) then be sure to read the label on anything you are feeding her. That includes treats as well as her dog food.

Wheat, corn, artificial colors and flavors, and other additives should be avoided. There are several limited ingredient diet (LID) dog foods available. The Diamond Naturals that Bob suggested is good. I have also had my two labs on Breeder's Choice dog foods (Pinnacle, Avoderm, Active Care) with good results. There are also a couple of threads on this site that have discussed different dog foods extensively.

Food allergies are a trial and error method until you find out what food or ingredient is triggering the reaction.

It is very unusual for a puppy her age to sleep that much and to be so lethargic. Keep a journal of what she eats, where you take her to play or for walks (in case the allergy is to something besides food). It may help you and your vet find the answer faster. Good luck and keep us posted. She is a real sweetie. Cute pictures.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

Jacque is offline Member

We have done a blood test yet. We did xrays last time which is when he suspected the pneumonia and I have an appointment on Wednesday, so I guess a blood test is the next step. She had tapeworms and roundworms when she came home from the breeder but was cleared of them with a shot as well as her preventative pill. I haven't seen a worm in aa month. What are BM's? Bowell Movements maybe? If so, they are normal and regular (twice a day usually).
    -JACQUE

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Bowel movement, yes.

I would get a full blood work up done, I'm actually surprised your vet didn't suggest that to start with the presentation of a sick, lethargic pup.

What I also find concerning is that allergies don't cause lethargy, if anything allergic dogs are over-active trying to relieve the incessant itching that accompanies 90% of canine allergies.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Jacque is offline Member

I'm going to start the process of changing her food today and then get the blood work done on Wednesday. I'm ready for Jazz to be bouncing of the walls with energy!! I need a dog that can keep up with me!! Thanks everybody!!
    -JACQUE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast