Wellness Core?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellness Core?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultWellness Core?

Don't tell my boss, but we are going to try Wellness Core (the reduced fat variety) for awhile. I like (and work for) Nature's Variety but I am thinking that maybe the higher fat in Instinct isn't cutting it for Maddy. She needs to lose weight, I heard grain free can help with that but other than give her nicer white teeth, I haven't noticed much else with the Instinct. I looked at Evo reduced fat at 52% protein (OMG) but my guy at the store said that was really too much protein unless Maddy was working in the field on a daily basis. He also suggested putting her on 3 small meals a day to jump start her metabolism. It's kind of a catch 22 with her. She is very very muscular, but she just weighs too much. And this is not a "give her a can of green beans" dog. This food is like 33% protein, 9% fat.

I'll let you all know what I think after a few weeks. Half of me was tempted to put her on that Science Diet Joint Formula food that Bob mentioned a few weeks back, but the thought of me feeding peanut hulls to my dog scared the crap out of me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Wellness Core?

My dog has been on the regular Wellness Core for over 3 months and doing well. I did start him on the reduced fat one because of it's higher fiber content and my vet and I initially thought we were dealing with colitis issues because he was having mucus in his stools. Once I switched to his old food to Wellness, the mucus cleared up, so I then switched him over the regular Core. He also did well on the reduced variety, but I would have had to feed him more. That could get expensive.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Just curious as to why you chose to use the reduced fat version? The regular only has 14% fat. I have had one of my girls on the regular formula and she is doing great on it.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She might have chosen the reduced fat version also because of the calories, 350 calories compared to 490.

Maddy is 85# and too heavy although she is all muscle. I have to figure a way of reducing her weight due to elbow issues and not starve her. She is not a green bean dog. I am hoping the lower calorie food will make her lose weight.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Didn't realize that there was that big of a calorie difference between the 2 formulas.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    My dog has been on the regular Wellness Core for over 3 months and doing well. I did start him on the reduced fat one because of it's higher fiber content and my vet and I initially thought we were dealing with colitis issues because he was having mucus in his stools. Once I switched to his old food to Wellness, the mucus cleared up, so I then switched him over the regular Core. He also did well on the reduced variety, but I would have had to feed him more. That could get expensive.
    What were you feeding him before?

The mucousy thing happened with Baloo on Orijen.

(sorry for the hijack... :-[)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    What were you feeding him before?

The mucousy thing happened with Baloo on Orijen.

(sorry for the hijack... :-[)
    He was on Natural Balance Potato and Duck, had been for about 3 years and had been doing great on it.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Yes please keep us posted on the results. Raven is on Natures Variety Instinct now but I am very seriously considering the Core reduced fat. First off, she really needs to loose weight and she also has anal gland problems so I thought the higher fiber in the reduced fat would be great. It really looks like a good food and I really like the grain free. She is doing better on the Instinct than she has on any other food, but she has a hard time pooping and she never has had that problem before. Let us know how you make out.

So far so good with the Wellness Core Reduced fat. Maddy's switched over with no digestive distress. She does great on Instinct but I wasnted the less fat. I'll give her a few more weeks and see if we notice anything in her weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast