Hook worm????

Thread: Hook worm????

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHook worm????

I go to this leash free park with Saba about once every couple of weeks Ė it has great trails. Yesterday afternoon I noticed someone wrote a sign that said that this park is infected with hook worms and that some dogs have already been infected. That it spreads by irresponsible dog owners who donít pick up after their dogs and to start picking up etc etc. That got me completely freaked out! What are the symptoms of it and how do you treat it? Iíll have to do some research on it later, havenít had the time yet, but I wonder if anyone had experience with this? I am completely paranoid now, probably wonít go there again till January when everything is frozen.. I just hope Saba didnít get itÖ Hope Iím just overreacting and there is nothing to worry about. But I also assume someone wouldnít post it if there wasnít a reason.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hook worm????

Do a Google on Hookworms in Dogs and you'll get lots of info. I do know that if hookworm goes on without treatment it can cause anemia. Its easily treatable if its caught early.

Laura

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Is he on any sort of preventative med, Agnes?

Baloo is on Sentinel, which protects against hookworm and the like (as well as heartworm and fleas) Is Saba on anything like that..? (I think advantage multi might cover hookworm too...? Not sure)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Yes he is. I read on the internet that it might take 4 days for symptoms to show up - so I'll just watch him closely... I feel so bad, for some reason I didn't see the sign when I was entering the park, becuase if I did, I'd probably turn around and leave. Thanks
    Hope he didn't catch it though. Fingers crossed!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky got these from a dog park. They actually live in water as well, so even if you pick up infected poop, the worms can live in the water/ground (I think...he's also had Giardia but I am pretty sure this was for the hook worms).

He stopped eating, had diarhia. It was VERY hard to miss he wasn't feeling well.

It's another one of those things. I am careful with Rocky (try to avoid letting him drink for "common" water bowls and puddles as well as stop any snow/ice eating in public areas) but as we frequent dog parks and other highly busy areas it's become somewhat of a routine (he gets a bug once a year or so)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

OMG, Agnes, which park is it?? I bet Saba didn't get any, but fingers crossed to be sure! After all the troubles you've had with him and his poop, this is the last thing you guys need!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.