Lethargic 4 1/2 month old

Thread: Lethargic 4 1/2 month old

Jacque is offline Member

DefaultLethargic 4 1/2 month old

I'm concerned for our 4 1/2 month old female lab, Jazz. She seems way too lazy and tired for her age. I understand that puppies sleep a lot but that's all she wants to do. We go to the park or in the backyard and she just won't run or go crazy at all, she just lays around. We had to put her on some antibiotics for some respiratory issues up until a week ago and she is fine now and has gotten a clean bill of health from our vet. Is this laziness normal? I just figured a puppy should be bouncing off the walls until they drop!!! Today I decided to just let her be and to not try to initiate play time, just to see what she would do. I've only been making her get up every hour or so to go potty outside and she has just slept all day....6 hours already!!! This can't be right. I'm not sure what to do....has anybody had similer experience or have any advice? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I don't think that amount of laziness and sleeping is at all normal for a Lab pup of that age.

If your local vet hasn't been able to diagnose the problem (and you want to avoid trial & error stabs in the dark), you might try CollVetMed Teaching Hospital at Texas A&M. I'll ETA their link.

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-12-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add link to Tx A&M CollVetMed
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I see that you are in Texas. Isn't it really hot there? My boys are very lethargic when the temps get to the mid-80s and up. I would not push playing outdoors, and only indoors if you have AC. But, do get a vet check just in case, she could have a parasite of some sort.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Hopefully it's just the heat, coupled w/ teething. It's hot here too (97F yesterday), and I sure see my dogs idle down in it. Anne

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My boy Blaise was pretty lazy as a small puppy. Even now, if we are not on the move he will park it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you rule out the heat as the reason for her being lethargic, consider testing for lyme.

I had a pup in my last litter with lethargy as the only symptom and he tested positive. Buyer thought he was just tired from boarding with me (and other dogs) for a week but luckily she took him to the vet.

DefaultFind out what was wrong?

Hi Jacque,

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your puppy? Was it the heat or lyme disease or something more serious? I hope she is alright.

Our 13 week old puppy has been very lethargic these last two days and it's just not right. We do have an appt. with the vet today for his monthly checkup and I'm a little worried.

Thanks,
    Carolyn