Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal Formula

Thread: Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal Formula

DefaultGo! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal Formula

Anyone have any experience with this food? It has been suggested by a few people as a good food for a dog with food allergies because 1) they felt it was a decent food, 2) it is a one protein, one grain, one oil food. I want to try something different to what I'm using at present.

I noticed when looking at the "dogfoodanalysis" site that Baloo317 noted in her post that this food says it contains "citric acid," but when looking on the bag (which I have right in front of me) I don't see this ingredient. The only "acid" listed is ascorbic acid. Many dog foods seem to contain citric acid, but I know there was a study done that connected it with an increase in bloat if you wet your kibble, so I checked the ingredients before buying it. Now after reading the "dogfoodanalysis" site I'm not sure. :-\ Is there another name for citric acid? It does give the food five stars though.

It indicates on the bag that it is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for "All Life Stages." No idea whether they did actual testing of the food on real dogs. Also a concern these days is frequent testing for any foreign toxins....after the events of recent months. I'm not sure how many of the smaller dog food companies would actually do this. :-\

I have spend hours reading labels, talking to people about dog foods, and I'm still not really set on which one to try (even though I've bought a bag of the Go! Natural). Any comments on the Go! Natural (or other foods) appreciated.

Felicia/Henry's mom, did you have your appointment with the holistic vet yet? Curious as to what the opinion was on proteins, grains, botanicals etc. I wish we had a holistic vet here. If I don't have success with a new food I think we'll try to locate one and travel to wherever they are, or perhaps to a dermatologist or allergist. Her allergies aren't horrendous by any means, but I don't want them to get worse and I'd sure like to get rid of the itching altogether.

Baloo's mom - I was told by girls at the pet food store (and they seemed to know their stuff) that some dogs just can't take a totally carb free diet.

I've got to decide on something soon as I'm getting low on my current food and need to have enough to do the switch over. One other thing I'd like to know is where the ingredients come from. The salmon says "west coast wild salmon," but not sure about the rest of the ingredients.

TIA for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal Formula

Hasn't Go Natural been involved in a few food recalls?

While Go! Natural was not involved in the recent Menu food recalls, it was recalled in October of 2003, food that was manufactured in Texas. I'm not sure what type of food was involved though.

Top of the Hill, I'm looking at the Petcurean website and I'm not seeing citric acid either for the Salmon and Oatmeal formula. Aren't ascorbic and citric acids both forms of vitamin C? (I'm sooo not remembering my chemistry!! :-[)
    I understand your concern about bloat and citric acid, I'm not sure if the same holds true with ascorbic acid. ??? (These are tough questions for a Sunday night!!)

I don't believe that Go! Natural does feeding trials.

As far as where the ingredients come from (I would be similarly concerned, considering the recent recalls), you might want to try emailing the company and seeing what they say. One of the things I liked about Orijen was that they were very specific as to the source of their ingredients, and that everything was then processed in a plant in Canada. Does this mean this food is free from any contamination? No... but does it make me feel better about feeding it? Yes.

We had our first appt with our holistic vet last week, we go back again this Wed. It was basically an information gathering session last week, plus Henry's exam, but this week we'll have a consultation and discussion. As far as Henry's seasonal allergies go though, he agreed that putting him on steroids every year was not a good option. He is very nutritionally based and we will be managing Henry's allergies next year via changes in diet.

Do you know if your dog's allergies are environmentally based or food based?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill

Baloo's mom - I was told by girls at the pet food store (and they seemed to know their stuff) that some dogs just can't take a totally carb free diet.
    Orijen has carbs in it (potatoes, etc.) just no grains. I absolutely agree that just because it looks like a great food, doesn't mean that it will work out great for your dog. I'm thinking I learned that lesson the hard way. :-\

I wish I could tell you something that would help. I have probably spent the equivalent of actual days (quite possibly even weeks) researching dog foods/diets (including raw, etc) and the pros and cons of each.

For all this research, I can speak about dog food in a fairly educated manner, but I've had to adapt a bit of a "trial and error" attitude with regard to which food will work best for Baloo. All that research and I end up at trial and error. *sigh*

I understand the worry and frustration though, all too well. I hope you can find something that works for your girl.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Felicia - I don't know about the citric acid/ascorbic acid thing either. I guess that's something else to look into. :-\ I did notice that on the main page (if you scroll down a bit) at petcurean.com there is a link to a pdf page (dated April 2007) that gives some information about where their various ingredients come from etc. I'd have to look again, but I believe it says that all their grains are sourced from North America....and also the oils and meats they use. Two exceptions: Lamb may come from New Zealand and some of the potatoes come from Holland. The same pdf file also mentions what they do in the way of testing.
    Re:
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Do you know if your dog's allergies are environmentally based or food based?
    Not for sure. She's been itchy since the day she came home at 8 weeks old. It's never developed into a huge issue, but still she shouldn't be itchy all the time. As a pup she had yeasty ears... which for some reason are much improved now. I just use cleaner occasionally. Touch wood she has never had anything like a hot spot, but she sometimes licks her feet until they get irritated between her toes and pads. Her mouth/jowls also seem to get really itchy and I notice that the hair in that area is thinning very slightly from scratching. Anyway I thought I would try a different food and see if I had any success. If not I'll take her to a holistic vet or possibly a veterinary dermatologist next. There's no one in our area in either field, but we'll travel to them if necessary. She has a nice coat and her skin is basically healthy, but I'm concerned that the itching could get worse as she gets older.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill
    Orijen has carbs in it (potatoes, etc.) just no grains.
    Sorry about that. I'm starting to get mixed up with all of this. I was looking at their grain free formula as well....and it was grain free foods that they said didn't suit all dogs. What they did say about the regular diet was that it probably wouldn't be great for a dog with allergies due to all the different ingredients and botanicals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I have probably spent the equivalent of actual days (quite possibly even weeks) researching dog foods/diets (including raw, etc) and the pros and cons of each.

For all this research, I can speak about dog food in a fairly educated manner, but I've had to adapt a bit of a "trial and error" attitude with regard to which food will work best for Baloo. All that research and I end up at trial and error. *sigh*

I understand the worry and frustration though, all too well. I hope you can find something that works for your girl.
    Thanks Kate. I hope you find the right food for Baloo soon too. I don't worry about my own diet near as much! LOL And then as you mentioned... once you finally decide on something you still have the ultimate test of seeing how your dog does on it.

Thanks for your comments guys. If you happen to read the Petcurean site and check out the pdf file link, let me know what you think. June

Hi June!

I read that pdf document... yay! I like that their dry food is made in either Alberta or Ontario. (I wonder what they were making in Texas in 2003??).

It looks to me that all their proteins are sourced from N.America, with the exception of lamb (NewZealand). All other ingredients (including oils) is N.American, with the exception of potatoes (Holland). No wheat gluten, no rice protein concentrate and no corn gluten (except in their Summit line, in which case it's Canadian). I personally am not worried about lamb from NewZealand. I eat lamb from NewZealand. I believe most dog food companies do source their lamb from NZ.

They're not doing feeding trials per se, but just testing palatability etc using their employees' pets.

If your girl is itchy all the time, it doesn't sound like it's seasonal/environmental allergies (I'm just guessing here, I'm not a vet or anything!! ). I can't remember if you said, but have you tried supplementing her diet with fish oil/sardines? How old is she?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I don't know where abouts you are, but I know a great veterinary dermatologist in Ontario, (she travels all around)

She's a bit.......let's say "cranky" () but very good at what she does.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    I can't remember if you said, but have you tried supplementing her diet with fish oil/sardines? How old is she?
    She has a can of salmon once/sometimes twice a week split over her meals that day(s). I was previously feeding her sardines once a week, but she was having anal gland issues, so I switched to salmon because I thought the sardines might be the culprit. I doubt that they actually were, but at any rate this issue has significantly improved over the last six months. I have no idea why as I haven't been feeding anything different (nor have I removed anything from her diet in that time) that I can think of. She's three years old Felicia.

My Vet is suggesting trying "Royal Canin Skin Support." This is a Veterinary diet (sold by Vets only). Though he does sell it I really don't think he would recommend it unless he felt it was a good product for her problem. It's protein source is Menhaden fish meal and carb source is rice. I'd never heard of "menhaden" fish and when I googled it it sounded like it was a fish that was being over fished and in danger of being wiped out....so that kind of put me off. (though I guess it's not the only fish that's over fished :-\) I have seen this fish used in another brand of kibble, but I can't remember which. Also, the RC diets I've checked out all seem to contain citric acid. Now I've read the study that said citric acid (if water is added to food) increases the chances of bloat. I'm not sure how significant this really is, but for sure I'd rather the food I picked didn't contain citric acid.... to be on the safe side. From the pamphlet the Vet gave me it it does appear that this food has been tested....mentions "controlled studies." I've used RC products before and been happy enough with them, although this is one of the MANY foods that was recalled this past Spring. I notice that they no longer list wheat or rice gluten as ingredients in the Skin Support formula. Curious as to what the Go! Natural recall in 2003 turned out to be.

Kate - I was just talking to a friend this morning and apparently there is a holistic Vet a few hours from here. I'm hoping to hear some opinions on him/her in the next while.

On one hand I like the idea of a bigger company (RC) that does structured feeding trials, has it's own Vets and nutritionists etc., and is apparently doing extensive testing on all their products now. On the other hand I like the ingredients and the fact they are more familiar to me (salmon for instance) in the Go Natural. I guess I'm just going to have to try something and see how it goes.