So I Think I Spoke Too Soon...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I Think I Spoke Too Soon...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo I Think I Spoke Too Soon...

Baloo crashed again on Orijen. The fish this time.  :-\

He had an "episode" earlier this week of explosive diarrhea (yes, I mean explosive) I thought it was due to some new treats he had had that day. So, he fasted for 24 hrs and I put him on boiled chicken/brown rice. His poops firmed up nicely, so I started the Orijen again. And the diarrhea started again almost immediately. 

Poor baby, this food just does not agree with him at all. And it's so frustrating because there were about 5/6 days there where he was doing great on it.....  ??? Also, the diarrhea happened around a bag switch, so I was thinking maybe that batch wasn't agreeing with him, so went and got a new bag, but had the same results.

So I have decided to admit defeat. He is back on chicken/rice until this "episode" clears up, and then I will start the switch to Fromm's "Chicken a la veg" formula.

I came to this food after researching almost all of my shift last night. I wanted something that was single protein source (preferably chicken) Lower protein, and still high quality.

So hopefully this will work better for him. I would still like to try him on a grain-free diet when he's an adult, but right now I just can't justify keeping him on something that doesn't make either him, or me, feel good. 

Linky to Fromm's food that I'll be using, in case anyone is interested (thoughts welcome!).  :
    http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-d-chicken.php

*sigh*  :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So I Think I Spoke Too Soon...

Hi Baloo,
    Sorry to hear the Orijen is not working out for your pup. I have been following your posts because I, too, am looking for a healthier food for my girl, and I was seriously considering Orijen. I took a look at the Fromm's link you provided (thanks!) and I am interested in it. I am wondering if you know any more about the company that makes it (where is it made, where do they get their ingredients, etc. etc.). With all this crap going on with China, I don't want anything (food OR toys) from China! I'll check out the Fromm's link again and see what I can discover, but in the meantime, whatever else you think is worth knowing about this food, please share! Thanks.

From what I know, some of Fromm's canned foods are made in china (in people food plants) but I didn't really care about that, as I don't/won't feed canned food.  :P

From what I know, the dry food is made at their plant in wisconsin. Apparently (the lady at the store was telling me this) Fromm's was originally a "furrier" company (they would raise animals to kill for furs) and so they formulated a food that would give their animals nice soft and shiny coats (so that they would have higher quality furs.)

Obviously that was a very very long time ago, and the company has developed into a premium pet food company since. (The fact that they've been around for a long time was another reason I chose them.)

The dry formulas were rated as 5 star by dogfoodanalysis.com

Here's the link to the review:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...roduct=8&cat=3

I tried to look up reviews on rateitall.com (which has been slightly helpful for other things) but the reviewers just went on and on about how some of the canned food was made in China.    Unhelpful.

I narrowed it down to Fromm's and a few others, and after mulling over bags at the store and talking to the "dog food lady" for awhile, I went with Fromm's.

Let's hope it works. If not, back to the drawing board. Again.  : :P

Fingers crossed!

ETA: This quote is from Fromm's "Quality Pledge" page, take from it what you will.

With the recent number of pet food recalls, many pet owners have become painfully aware that many of their trusted brands are made by less than a handful of third party private label manufacturers. Unlike many other pet food companies that have all their products made for them by third party manufacturers, all of our Fromm Dry Pet Foods and Treats are manufactured at our plant located here in Wisconsin.

Regarding our “grain free” canned foods, we process all of our products in a fit only for human consumption plant, and only the highest manufacturing standards are used to produce our products. All of our canned products have FDA registration numbers and certificates of manufacturing integrity are provided for each and every load before it is allowed to enter the USA or Canada. Each facility has been rigorously inspected on site by the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency). As per these certifications by the FDA and CFIA, we are mandated to purchase our ingredients from only certified suppliers according to government directives. There are government inspectors on site during production, and these facilities supply canned goods world wide including the USA. These facilities also have EU (European Union) and Kosher Certifications.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also wanted to add, I wouldn't rule out Orijen for your dog, I still think it's a great food, it just doesn't work for Baloo, unfortunately.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

k8show is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to say good luck! I know you were excited about Orijen. At least Peanut is doing well on it. You're keeping her on it, right?
    Katie and Boo

Tanya is offline Senior Member

the club members are dropping like flies - i'm so sorry it didn't work out. I know you were very exited about it.

hope the next food works out better
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Have you done any tests to see if there is an IBD issues??
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by K8Show
    Just wanted to say good luck! I know you were excited about Orijen. At least Peanut is doing well on it. You're keeping her on it, right?
    Yup, she's doing fantastic. Orijen is a great fit for her. The kitties are also on orijen, so I'm still in the club Tanya!!

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    Have you done any tests to see if there is an IBD issues??
    If it continues, I will definitely explore those and other avenues. Right now it's looking like a particularly volatile reaction to the food (for whatever reason). He's been on Fromm's for a few days now and his poos are fine. They were also fine on just plain chicken and rice. At this point I think Orijen just didn't agree with him at all.

I have been to the vet as I was getting very concerned. (Esp. since his poops became very mucousy) He was put on flagyl and a strict no-addons diet (just kibble). So far he's much much better.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Sorry to hear that Orijen did not work out for Baloo. Nauga has been on Orijen for about 6 months and it really works for him. I had tried just about every food for him over about 4 years and nothing worked. Orijen is the only thing that has agreed with him. I've come to believe that he has a wheat or gluten allergy as he suffers from severe allergies. Hopefully the Fromm's will work for you. I also give Nauga a 1/4 tsp of prozyme with his meal (it's a digestive aid). You may want to look into that as well.....

Why not feed what the breeder feeds her puppies...it must work for her/his line and then switch to a richer food when he's older.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast