Question about Otomax.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Otomax.

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about Otomax.

I had Molly at the vet today for a check up & her booster. I mentioned that when I cleaned her ears, her left ear had a little gunk in it. The vet said her ear was a little red. The vet gave me Otomax. It is like an ointment type otic medicine. She said to put it in her ear & then gently rub it. Someone posted in lab chat that a vet tech told her it could damage the eardrum & cause deafness. So I need to see if anyone has used this ear medicine.
    TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

krisinme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about Otomax.

Georgie,
    Otomax works ok for yeast and ear problems but I much prefer Oticalm just for cleanings or Laura's purple power solution. I have been using the purple power for 4 years now and don't see any reason to purchase anything for yeast or daily cleanings like I used too.
    IMO otimax is too thick to get down into the ear well enough to really get to the source of the problem.

Thanks Kris. I was just worried when I saw that it could damge the eardrum. I have never used an oinmtent, also drops. Since the ear was a little red...I wonder if I should keep using it. Always somethiong to worry about. :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have used it, I've never heard about it causing ear problems. I know the one we have has a long tube, I suppose if you could puncture the eardrum with it. A lab does not have a straight ear canal like a human so its harder to actually get to the eardrum

Thanks Eric. Yes, there is a long red tube on it. I usually get drops. I will use it because I don't want the redness to get worse. It is only 5 to 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    Thanks Eric. Yes, there is a long red tube on it. I usually get drops. I will use it because I don't want the redness to get worse. It is only 5 to 7 days.
    I am curious.. was this a recent post you saw about the eardrum thing? I trust my vet.. and I'm pretty sure you trust yours... I trust they would not give us anything that would do more harm than good

Eric, I posted about Molly's vet visit today & someone said it could rupture the eradrum & cause hearing loss & deafness. I looked it up on the internet & one of the side effects WAS hearing loss in geriatric dogs. Since this is an ointment, I would think it would be okay. Molly isn't geriatric yet.

I am a nurse & I know gentimicin, which is in Otomax, is ototoxic to humans. But I don't think the dose is that large in Otomax & I really don't want her ear to get worse.

Thank you so much for you input.

Well I just had to look at this a litte deeper this morning... and the the otomax ointment does come with a warning...

"Use Of Otomax Ointment Has Been Associated With Deafness Or Partial Hearing Loss In A Small Number Of Sensitive Dogs (eg, Geriatric). The Hearing Deficit Is Usually Temporary"

A google search provided some stories of geriatric dogs who lost hearing.

From what i read on the internet and you have to take that for waht it is, hearing loss in rare and permanent loss is very rare

I was aware of the gentamicin and hearing loss thing, but was unaware it was in otomax. As I said I've used it a few times and did not have any problems, however I think we will look to other options the next time around.

labby is offline Senior Member

Learn something new everyday.

Laura

Never heard that, and I've used Otomax for years. In fact, I just sent the ex-husband to pick up some for one of his dogs that has inflammed ears. I never use it unless the ears get to that point...being red and inflamed. Hope your sweet girl is on the mend soon, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast