MRS IN DOGS??? ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT??

Thread: MRS IN DOGS??? ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT??

DefaultMRS IN DOGS??? ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT??

MRS= methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus

Have any of you dealt with this before in your dogs?? Coals culture and sensitivity test came back yesterday and not only does he had the yeast infection on his chin they also found the MRS.. Waiting on the vet to call me to let me know what antibiotic she wants to put him on... This poor dog has been on antibiotics for the last 8+ weeks and he's still having issues.. but at least now we know what it is and hopefully can get it gone this time...

His whole problem started a few months ago when his acne on his chin showed up. The vet thought it was just a deep pyroderma so she treated it as such.. medicated antiseptic shampoo twice a week and antibiotics.. we started off with Ceph for a few weeks weeks and no improvement.. Took him back because by this time its bugging the hell out him and he's scratching at it alot and making open sores (Benadryl didn't help at all).. so then she switched him to Clavamox and he was on that for at least 7 weeks... along with the shampoo...

Still no improvement and the vet decided to take a biopsy and a culture and skin sensitivity test.. Biopsy came back with the yeast infection.. So we started using Malaseb shampoo to treat that every day... and it seems to be helping.. Found out on Tuesday about the Staph... We have an apt tomorrow at the vets to talk about the treatment plan for that.. Not happy at all she's waiting 72hrs to start him on antibiotic when she knows what should work from the sensitivity test.. I called yesterday about it and she was off.. so hopefully we will get this boy feeling better soon... He's acting fine doesn't even act like there is anything wrong...just scratches at that chin..

So last night I washed his chin and his feet with the antiseptic shampoo and let it sit for about 30 mins and rinsed off.. and then did the same with the Malaseb shampoo... was worried about all of this going to his feet considering he scratches with his back feet and lays on his front ones (and rubs his chin)..

hope we can get this all done soon!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: MRS IN DOGS??? ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT??

No experience, but just wanted to say I hope that they find something that works and that it gets cleared up. Poor guy. I bet he's looking at the whole soap thing like it's punishment by now, eh?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

lol.. yeah poor guy... have a really pitiful picture last night where he was hanging his head over the tub...

Hes been really good though up until last night... He would go in the bathroom with me.. turn around and face the door.. I would stand over him and scrub scrub scrub his chin... and we would leave it on for about 30 mins and come back and rinse off... and he would go right back in the bathroom with me for that.. his favorite part is the towling off though... he sees a towel he thinks you need to rub him with it... silly dog..

last night though he had to get in the tub and stay there while we let it soak in... all 4 feet and chin.. looked really sad.. wondering if he will even go in the bathroom tonight...lol..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No experience on this... but you might ask your vet for Malaseb wipes, probably much easier than the shampoo.

obsidian Guest

You should have yourself tested as well.

I don't know if it's the same thing but Mocha had a staph infection on her belly a few years ago. It healed right up with the medicated shampoo and antibiotics.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Poor Cole. Thats a long time on antibiotics and more to come

I would be giving probiotics 2-3 hours after each antib. dose and continue for a couple of months after meds are finished.

Good luck. Prayers you can get this cleared up soon.

I've not dealt with it in dogs, but my husband just went through a possible MRSA. When he finally went to Urgent Care they said they didn't know for sure if it was MRSA but they were going to treat it aggressively. He was put on a 2-hour antibiotic drip. He had to go back the next day for another 2-hour drip and then went on two oral antibiotics. It turned out that both of his were just "regular" staph infections, he was able to stop one of the antibiotics, but I'm sure the aggressive approach helped them to heal much quicker.

Is this a possibility for Coal? I don't know if it's the same for dogs/people. Hope that he gets better quickly.