Windy Dog solutions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy Dog solutions?

DefaultWindy Dog solutions?

Since Rainbow has switched to mostly wet food, She's been getting a bit gassy.
    Well, Ok, not just a bit. It's more like a gaol force pooty-gram with enough Methane to wipe out a small city. :P
    Is it safe to give her an over-the-counter remedy like Beano? Will she eventually adjust to the change in diet? I'm pretty sure that's the cause, as her flatulence started right about that time. She seems to be fine otherwise

Peace!

-Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Windy Dog solutions?

This isn't really going to help, but HK was quite gassy. I read enough to indicate that the wheat and corn in her food might be a potential source. We switch her food over to a wheat and corn free, and the methane factory shut down. That was after 8 months of her previous food and if anything the methane production was increasing, not decreasing.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

What are the ingredients in her wetfood? I know some dogs react horribly to soybean in the food, and like Endofile said, others can be triggered by wheat or corn.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She's mostly getting Pedigree, Alpo and Iams, with Beneful as the dry "chaser".
    Soy doesn't seem to be an irritant, but she's a "carb junkie" like me. :-[
    The wheat and corn reduction/elimination sounds like something interesting that Rainbow and I should look into.
    Any brand suggestions?

[attachment deleted by admin]

labby is offline Senior Member

Why is she on mostly wet food? Beneful is crap. Crap in and crap out one way or another.

Laura

Why is she getting wet food? Basically any food bought in a supermarket is not the best quality.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Like the others, I'd hazard a guess that the food is the culprit.

PEDIGREE® Food For Adult Dogs CHOICE CUTS® With Lamb and Vegetables

Sufficient Water For Processing, Poultry, Meat By-Products, Wheat Flour, Lamb, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Peas, Carrots, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Vegetable Oil, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Sodium Alginate, Caramel Coloring, Bay Leaves, Xanthan Gum, Onion Powder, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A & D3 Supplements, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate {Vitamin B1}, Biotin), Garlic Powder, Sodium Nitrite (For Color Retention).

Beneful Original Dry

INGREDIENTS
    Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, salt, phosphoric acid, animal digest, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, biotin, garlic oil, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Windy issues aside, these foods (including Alpo - I couldn't find the ingredients for it) are pretty awful.

Compare the foods above to a high quality food:

Canidae All Life Stages

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

...and you don't need to know a thing about ingredients to see why the Pedigree and Beneful are LOW quality.

I would consider switching to something healthier as soon as you can. High quality brands of food include Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, Canidae (as above), Fromms and Nature's Variety. There are plenty of good quality foods out there...more than I could ever possibly list so your best bet is just to go shopping and have a look for yourself.

Lula was on Nutro when we first got her and she had terrible gas (loud and smelly). After switching her to Solid Gold it all but cleared up. She still gets a bit windy when we go for a ride in the car, but I figure that's normal.

Robert,

It sounds like you are feeding her several different kinds of food? And it sounds like they are all new to her (you said you just recently made the switch). I think you should probably switch to one good quality food and stick to it for awhile without going back and forth between several different foods, this can mess with their bellies as well. I have been on the food rollercoaster with Jonah and finally found one that works for him. Sometimes what may work well for one dog doesn't work well for another, but definitely start with a good quality food. You can do searches in this section and you will find lots of suggestions and lists of what to look for.

Also, just curious your reason for switching Rainbow to wet food?

The reason for switching mostly to wet foods, was that she refused to eat the dry stuff at all.
    Her previous absentee "owners" had basically just left her in a half-fenced yard, poured her a bowl of WallyWorld dry and then abandoned her again and again. She still won't eat, if I'm out of the house, for fear that she's being left pretty much for dead. :'(
    The wet was a revelation to her and she really started eating, like a Dog of her size.
    I'm stuck in supermarket hell with the choices I have to feed her. I'm literally hundreds of miles from a Pet-Smart, or anything of that nature.
    If there's a place on the web that I can afford, that will provide something better than L-Cysteine, Meat By-Products and Salt Peter, I'm all ears!
    I've been giving her a variety, because that's pretty much how my dad used to buy food for Lady (My dearly departed sweetie from my youth) I had figured that "Familiarity breeds contempt". Had no idea that there was any harm in it. :-[
    I've got a lot to learn, it seems.

Peace!

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast