I wish more people would use this forum.

Thread: I wish more people would use this forum.

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultI wish more people would use this forum.

I have learned so much from this forum. But it is sad to see labs that have health problems & they are not aware of what they may be. Our friend in our lab club has a beautiful 3 year old male who, at 14 months, had an episode of "getting wobbly & falling down" when training in his yard. His vet recommended calling his breeder to see if any littermates have this problem. EIC was not mentioned.

Henry did call his breeder & seems it turns out Lou's (the lab) mother has "problems" with heat.

So Lou is a very excitable, hard driving lab, but has not been able to do much in warm weather. Henry says..he overheats. He loves this lab, but it seems he may have EIC. But does it manifest in other ways then just totally collapsing? I have read about it & I never say anything, but it is sad to see this beautiful lab not be able to do what he wants to do. Henry restricts him & worries about him.

I wonder though if this is an inherited thing. Maybe that female should not have been bred.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I wish more people would use this forum.

The LRC (Labrador Retriever Club) website has articles on EIC, PRA, how to choose a puppy, and a variety of things.

You might want to refer your friend with the Lab 'intolerant of heat' to this, "just in case":

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob. I know there are no guarentees, totally , when you buy a puppy, but I have learned what questions to ask & things to look for when buying a puppy.

I will forward the link to my friend.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I wonder though if this is an inherited thing. Maybe that female should not have been bred.
    Georgie, there has been a lot of research put into EIC. There have been discussions on other retriever forums (RTF, Refuge) regarding the mode of inheritance. It has been recently proven the EIC has autosomal recessive MI meaning that two carriers produce an affected, like PRA. There is a test being developed and patented now, which hopefully will become available to the public soon to help with breeding decisions.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

And that test is the one that the DNA samples to be collected at the LRC Inc Nationals (Portland OR) will go toward. I posted this earlier.... I do think they've got all the "affected" samples they need now but these samples will represent unaffected dogs. Some could come up as carriers of course. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could evetually eleminate these dreaded diseases in labs.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'll repeat what I posted on the CNM post:

"Any more, I just want to say "Buyer Beware". You really have to do your homework before buying a pup. I tell everyone if cost is a concern, please patronize the local rescue... the bybs are making a killing off people around here and now they are making even more by doing "doodles" and get this... "chesadors". Oh, btw, Chessies apparently have a real EIC issue. So those bybs are seriously doubling up on genetic issues."

We, as Lab lovers, need to educate everyone possible on these things. It is a nightmare from the rescue viewpoint, as you can well imagine. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014