Cut Ear Question

Thread: Cut Ear Question

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

DefaultCut Ear Question

Our dog has a tiny cut on the inside tip of his ear. This happened three or four weeks ago. Not exactly sure. Over Labor Day weekend I was walking with a neighbor and asked her if her dog ever cut her ears. She looked at his and asked her husband to look at it. He is a doctor. No matter what I've tried it does not heal completely. He doesn't bother him but his sister likes to check on it every day and gets her licks in when she can. It is so small it is hard to even see. It tends to open easily and crusts over with dried blood. I apply some warm compresses to clean it and apply 3x antibiotic salve everyday. Have even tried not cleaning it or applying salve for a few days. Doesn't seem to make much difference. I am thinking it might be time for a visit to the vet. I spoke to one last week when we had Romy in for a checkup and she told me at that time to just keep on with what I was doing. Any thoughts?
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cut Ear Question

My boy Samm had one when he came to me from his foster family. The ear has billions of very small blood veins (okay that's an exaggeration), so bleeding takes a while to stop. Once the blood coagulates and hardens, just leave it alone. Do not clean it, as this opens up the wound again. This is what my vet said was best. Just leave it alone and let it heal. Teach the other dog to leave it. It won't take long to heal, if left alone.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

One of the problems with little cuts on the ears is that they will open every time the dog shakes his/her ears. If this seems to be the problem, try taping the ear down to the head. I suggest powdering the area with something like medicated Gold Bond Powder and changing the bandage every couple of days. Hopefully that will give the ear a chance to heal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Ears are a bugger. Like said above, the ears have tons of blood vessels and the dogs shake their heads, etc.

Laura

maybe try a little styptic powder on it? will form a crust and allow
    tissue to heal. any head wounds are bleeders.