Vet Nutrition Classes

Thread: Vet Nutrition Classes

DefaultVet Nutrition Classes

Everyone always says vets only get one nutrition class and that its sponsored by kibble companies. Is there any support to this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vet Nutrition Classes

Ask your vet. Most will admit it. Mine did which is why he now calls me when he needs nutritional info. LOL.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think that teaching would differ from vet school to vet school.

But you have to bear in mind that veterinarians deal with medical issues and not nutritional ones. You wouldn't go to your doctor for nutritional advice -- you would go to a nutritionist. Same for pets. I'm not sure there is such thing as a qualified canine nutritionist but there are certainly many people (breeders, holistic vets, etc.) who are very knowledgeable on the subject.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well I like my vet they seem very knowledgable, inexpensive and quick. But making the journey into raw I want someone who is on my side as well. Not going to flip out when I tell them I fed my dog bones.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Some regular vets are supportive of raw feeding, others not so much. You could always look for a holistic vet if in doubt.

I think I have looked for hoistic vets in my area and they are a big drive way.

Tucker, one thing you could do if you think your vet may give you resistance is take some resources (for example print out articles supporting what you do, get a list of websites, etc.) and offer them to him/her if they do say anything negative. You could say something like, "I appreciate your thought, but I have done a lot of research on this myself, and this is the way I've decided to go for now. I brought some articles (or whatever) that I can give you if you'd like to see why I've chosen to go this route".

I seriously considered raw before getting Jonah. I am still seriously looking into it, but for now have gone with grain free (Orijen). Before I got Jonah I gave my vet (who I knew personally) a lot of info on the raw. She wasn't really into it before that, but did read the info I passed along, and never said another negative word about it. When I told her the dog food I was now feeding, she said she hadn't heard of it, but was sure I had researched it, and left it at that.

So even if your vet isn't 100% on board with what you are doing, at least if you show that you have done the research and looked into the pros/cons, etc., hopefully they will at least stay off your back about it! My feeling is you need to have a good relationship with your vet, even if you don't agree on everything. If your vet gives you too much flack, resistance, or flat out tells you shouldn't be doing it after you explain to him your reasons and give him info supporting it, then I'd say it's time to find a new vet.

Good luck!

My wife hates going to the vet with me. Last time I told her how I use hot dogs as high value treats. She blew me up saying hot dogs are terrible etc etc. I blew her up about how its rediculous to think that DOG treats are better than human food. And then I tied that in with the state of kibble today and how I refuse to feed my dog some garbage. She responded, I understand your concern. So maybe she is turnable.