1st heat help

Thread: 1st heat help

Default1st heat help

My 10 month old lab is in the midst of her first heat. I'm sure it's a result of this heat, but she just seems really off. Usually she's relatively independent-- likes to be in the room with me, but is content to just chew her rawhide and roll over for the occassional belly rub. Lately, though, she's been very needy. Sometimes she just sits next to me and stares, whining the whole time. I know it's not hunger or excercise-- because it's usually after she's been fed and been out for a long walk. It's frustrating because I have no idea what she's looking for. I'm not used to it because she has never behaved this way before.

I just don't know if the whining and general restlessness is normal, or if something else is not right with her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 1st heat help

Usually not on the very first heat, but starting w/ the 2nd, exhibiting this behavior would equal asking for BOYZ. :-[ Mine are usually pretty clueless on their first cycle. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

My girls don't whine, but they are very lovey dovey and clingy while in heat....they probably just feel crampy. Just give her a little extra lovin' and don't take your eyes off of her outside

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace is pretty lovey dovey all the time, but she gets into this hand biting thing with my DH and she is a horrible flirt with our boy. When she does seem a little extra needy during her heat, it seems because she has to spend more time away from us crated instead of being allowed on the couch and bed with us.

poppy has just started her heat as well, and she seems really clueless to what is going on, i have read that they do change during this time.....she hasn't she just looks so sad as she has to be in the kitchen because of the bleeding.

I haven't taken her out either as i'm worried about male dogs what do you think?
    i'm always with her in the garden as well as i do know the smell drive the boys wild!!

Also how long does the bleeding last for? we're on day 7 with no let up as yet. i know the heat last 21 days will she bleed all the way through, i have been told some dogs do.

Quote Originally Posted by claire26pink
    I haven't taken her out either as i'm worried about male dogs what do you think?
    Yes, only supervised walks on your property while she's in heat.

Also how long does the bleeding last for?
    With my girls, the bleeding lasts the whole 3-4wks.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Quote Originally Posted by claire26pink
    Yes, only supervised walks on your property while she's in heat.

Also how long does the bleeding last for?
    With my girls, the bleeding lasts the whole 3-4wks.

With most girls, they get worse at ~day 10-12 thru 17 or so. This is when you ABSOLUTELY don't let your guard down. Definitely monitor her thru 21 days, and when the vulva begins to harden and shrink, you should be out of the woods.
    -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014