MUCUS

Thread: MUCUS

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultMUCUS

I am posting on behalf of my friend although Saska does have this problem from time to time as well, could anybody advise me on why there could be mucus around the her dogs poo, he is getting this off and on over the last couple of weeks, she cooks all his food, chicken, and vegetables, he does not eat a lot of treats as she is trying to manage his weight, he does not seem to pick up anything on walks unlike Saska, any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: MUCUS

Could be colitis. A vet visit may be in order.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

It can sometimes be caused by an irritated digestive tract from too rich food- such as the marrow in beef bones, but should clear up in a day or two.

It can also be caused by parasites and if your friend has been seeing this for a couple of weeks I would take a stool sample into the vet to be checked to be on the safe side.

Is she sure she is feeding a balanced diet with her homemade meals? that is very important. If she is not sure she should not stay on this diet for too long. I know she is trying to drop weight but she is better off feeding a quality kibble with added veggies to drop weight and to ensure balance in the diet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

In my kids it usually means Giardia.

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all of your advice my friend it going to consult a vet, just to be on the safe side.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've heard it had something to do with protein sometimes - either the dog is getting too much or not enough...? Can't remember which one.

I agree that a vet visit is in order. Also, tell her to call ahead and ask if they'd like her to collect a stool sample or if they want to do it at the clinic. Might save her a trip.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!