Arg, The food game Lamb or Chicken?

Thread: Arg, The food game Lamb or Chicken?

blacktri99 is offline Member

DefaultArg, The food game Lamb or Chicken?

Ok new question, Which is better for my guy's Lamb or Chicken? and Why?

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Try one, see if you have any kind of negative reaction (allergy). Switch if you do.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thanks Is there a preference? any health benefits of one over the other?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No - either is a good source of protein - what food you choose containing lamb or chicken matters more. Look at the contents of the food you are considering - you want meat to be the first ingredient, not grain. You want to avoid foods with corn meal in them - corn is a frequent allergen and not nutritionally beneficial to dogs. It is filler. The more grain in a food, the less value it has for your dog.

If your dog is having an allergy issue and that is why you are looking at different foods, there are also foods with novel proteins like duck or venison. Many dogs find relief once they go on the food with novel proteins and fewer or no grain.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

No Allergy issue's just not doing as well as I think he should be, The Golden has gotten a hot spot recently, and I just don't think his coat is as good as it could be.

I have looked at the Natures Best Lamb by SD and the 2 of the first 3 ingredients are Lamb, Rice and Lamb Meal, No Corn or Corn Gluten by the ingredients list it looks pretty good, as does the BBlue buffalo,

Decisions decisions especially when it has to do with my boy's I want the best I can afford.

LopersNLabs is offline Senior Member

I'm not a fan of SD at all. I feed Blue to five dogs and Natural Balance LID to one (she has allergies). I swear by them both.

thanks for all the inputs, I have gone with the SD Natures Best because the ingredients seem to be really strong
    Ingredients: Lamb, Soybean Meal, Lamb Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Powdered Cellulose, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Peas, Carrots, Fish Oil, Soybean Oil, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Broccoli, Vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), L-Threonine, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Lysine, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Tryptophan, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

I will try it and see how it does, I must have stayed in Petsmart for an hour trying to make the decision between SD and BB, and I still have questioned myself, so only time will tell at this point, I do know though that they are getting better ingredients than the pro plan.

Jim

labby is offline Senior Member

Chicken is more digestible for dogs than lamb. I always start with chicken and leave the lamb in case the animals develops problems later on. It gives me a different protein source to try if needed.

Laura

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Our sami is on lamb as she is allergic to chicken...