Chin Biopsy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chin Biopsy

DefaultChin Biopsy

Has anyone else had a dog that has had chronic acne? Coal has been on clavamox for over 6 weeks and the acne hasnt cleared up... so today he went in for a biopsy and skin scraping of his chin... just wondering what to expect.. I dont know what else to do for this guy. Hes eating California Natural lamb and rice food now in case it was an allergy to his food.

The lady i foster for swears its probably a yeast infection. Vet thinks is a pyroderma (sp??).. I dont know what else to do..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chin Biopsy

Obviously the clavamox is not the proper med. The biopsy and skin scraping will determine the exact bacteria (if they are doing a culture-which they should) so the proper meds can be given to clear this up.

Hoping they can clear it up quickly. You are feeding an excellent dog food with few ingred. so I would not think it is a yeast issue - unless your boy has a problem with rice?

Let us know what they find.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Not chin, but interdigital cysts biopsy - ended up being allergic to his own keritin (spelling) hair and nail folicals (spelling...again!) Put on Atopica and it's working - expensive, but working! Let me know what they find, please?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks!

The Clavamoxx cleared up part of the problem but he still has the bumps on most of his chin and scratches like crazy at his chin.. and noticed the other night that it has spread to his upper lip as well.. poor guy and he is licking his feet and scratching in other place.. he was on Eagle Pack Holistic Fish formula. and just switched him in the past week to the CN hoping it will help..

And considering the Clavamox is so expensive you would think it would have cleared up... :

My foster Bunker also went to the vets this morning for bad skin issues.. we are just an itchy house... ugh.. he scratches himself until it bleeds... so hopefully the vet will get him fixed too.. hes on lamb and rice as well but the EP holistic.. his skin is black on his belly from so much trauma to his skin in the past... when i got him a month ago he was missing a lot of hair.. now its all grown back..

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

"And considering the Clavamoxx is so expensive you would think it would have cleared up... "

Its the same thing with UTIs for instance. Clavamox may not be the right antibiotic for the particular bacteria causing the infection. Amoxicillan may be better. The best way to find out is to do a culture to pinpoint the exact bacteria to know what med to give.

Good luck.

a 400.00 vet bill yesterday for Coal to add to the already mounting amount I owe her. thank goodness they work with me in regard to payments...Now we are just waiting on results to come back..

She said the biopsy of his chin should be back in 48 hrs. Then she also did culture and sensitivity test so maybe we will find out what's causing the problem to begin with and find out what meds will kick the infection. She put him on another weeks work of Clavamox. And also sent the lump on his leg off to the lab for testing to see if that's benign like his last lump on the same leg.. The vet tech was surprised I wanted to get it removed but I wanted to because he was already going under anesthesia and wasn't going to risk putting him under again for a lump that's not any bigger than a pencil eraser.. plus don't want it sitting there turning into something else.. will gladly pay the 120.00 to get it removed rather than later find out its cancer.. and I hate anything that shows up like on their feet or leg... scary to me..

Bad thing was I couldn't find an ecollar to fit him this morning before work and he was scratching at that chin already.. and he has stitches on one side.. so worried I will get home and he will have scratched them out.. I did cut his nails on his back feet back as far as could without nicking him and gave him some benedryl.. so we will see.. will ask my dad to check him when he goes over later to let them outside..

Bunkers (my foster) skin scraping came back negative.. they did do a fungus test but that wont be back for 2 weeks.. hes on ceph and something stronger than the benedryl and she gave him a steriod shot... and hes got a bottle of 3V caps.. so hopefully Bunker will be feeling better soon!!!

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Good luck - keep us posted!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Clavamox is the "first line" antibiotic that my vet uses. It's a fairly weak med, and in my experience, pretty cheap. When Baloo had his UTI, his 2 week supply of Clavamox was like, $20.00

I think if that drug hasn't kicked whatever it is, then it's either not bacterial, or clavamox isn't strong enough/isn't the right "strain" of antibiotic.

Hope you get good news from that biopsy!! 
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Just out of curiosity what type of bowls do you use for food and water? When Mocha had acne a year or so ago I was using a ceramic food bowl and plastic water bowl. I was told to switch them both to stainless steel as the plastic harbors bacteria that can cause the acne. After I switched it cleared right up and she hasn't had anything since then. Hers were not open sores though just bumps on her chin and top of her nose. I hope they figure it out and get it cleared up.

Oh wow wish i could get 2 weeks worth of Clavamoxx for 20.00. Just for one week if i buy from vet is 58.00. Keep in mind Coal weights 89lbs and has to have 500mg twice a day.. not sure how much your guy was getting in that two weeks.. and its a very expensive antibiotic. The cheapest i could find at an online pharmacy was 99 cents a pill and my vet charges 2.00+ a pill... And coal has been on it at least 7 weeks..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast