New Grain-free food (Taste of the Wild) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Grain-free food (Taste of the Wild)

DefaultRe: New Grain-free food (Taste of the Wild)

I'd be a bit concerned about the venison part and where it came from. Venison can be anything from deer to Elk to antelope and as far as I know, no one has large enough 'venison' farms to raise the amount of meat that would be needed for production so that tells me that it could be road-kill? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There is a fair amount of venison raised in the US, also the remains from the hunters kill. I suspect the non-prime portions of the animal that are butchered by slaughter houses for the hunters, are then sold to various secondary markets including pet foods.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

That's interesting. Around here, when you say venison it's meant solely deer. But I don't think that's much of a concern because there are farms just for venison - that's the main way people get venison in the grocery store or restaurants (excluding those of us that get it ourselves ). Plus, it would probably be more expensive to drive around and load up road kill as opposed to buying it - especially on this scale. There are also tests that must be done, so I'm pretty sure that the use of road kill won't be a problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by softail
    I'd be a bit concerned about the venison part and where it came from. Venison can be anything from deer to Elk to antelope and as far as I know, no one has large enough 'venison' farms to raise the amount of meat that would be needed for production so that tells me that it could be road-kill? Thoughts?
    I think it depends on the area you live. I always have deer in my freezer, just the other day I went to visit a friend, and there you go I leave with a pack of deer meat. In my area (hunting area) deer is very common. I would think that things like buffalo would be more of a uncommon meat. Then again that may also depend on the area you live, however I hear more people from all over saying they cannot wait for hunting season to get some deer, not buffalo. I think deer is way more common than you think. As far as venison could be elk or antelope, nothing wrong with elk or antelope to me anyway. Chances are venison is deer, as it is the most common term used when someone is referring to deer. Actually you are the first that I have heard it being referred to as something other. I doubt seriously that this kibble has road kill in it.

Even if it's not road-kill I still wouldn't trust the source for the ven. Hubby is a deer hunter and we process our own (as we don't trust the local butcher shops with it) and there's really not much left after processing so if the dog food mfg. is getting it that way he's getting it from a rendering company that picks that stuff up from the butcher shops and who knows what all is in with it. Maybe I'll snoop around the internet more and see if I can dig something up on this issue, as in where does the ven. come from.
    I'm thinkin' I'll stick with the buffalo.

I'm thinkin' I'll stick with the buffalo
    What kibble do you feed?

Jen

I doubt it's simply the leftovers - you'd never get the protein levels up that high with by-products.

Jen 1 ~
    I've been feeding the Wolf King lg. breed adult for about 3 wks. now and the Tootzilla seems to be
    doing well. No transition upset, coat is beautiful, small stools, no apparent allergies or reactions to
    it. I think I've found a keeper for a while.
    ~Jen 2

Even if it's not road-kill I still wouldn't trust the source for the ven
    I contacted the company..venison=deer for them. She said all their meats come from a certified human grade facility. They have 3 processing plants for their foods, located in..Ca., Mo, and SC. The food is brand new, only a month now, she said that most all stores that carry Diamond will be able to order.

Jen

Thanks for doing the legwork, that's nice to know where it comes from. I'm looking forward to trying this food.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast