Smelly dog cause?

Thread: Smelly dog cause?

Suegene is offline Senior Member

DefaultSmelly dog cause?

We have a new dog park - with water - so naturally Cooper has been there alot. In the past week, he has developed a sweet/sour smell - not the normal smell of a healthy lab. I can't see any open scrapes, he is about as itchy as normal for this time of year, the smell isn't localized to the ears or the rump area (so doesnt appear to be ear infection or anal glands). Any ideas what he might have picked up there that would cause the smell??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Smelly dog cause?

No idea of what would cause it but to get rid of the smell spritz him with a solution of half water and half mouthwash then just towel him off.
    Olie

That normally works for us - but hasn't done a thing to cut the odor. Last night he went to bed all by himself at 9 pm - wondering if he doesn't feel good, he never does that.

I am going to give him a really good bath tonight and see if that helps the odor, and go on poop patrol to see if anything else is happening.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    In the past week, he has developed a sweet/sour smell - not the normal smell of a healthy lab.
    Does it smell like mildew? Maybe he isn't getting complete dry after his swims. I wonder if they put something in the water at the dog park? Do you rinse him off afterwards?

The only time Cinder has smelled bad after swimming was when she went swimming in a river instead of a lake, but she smelled so bad there was no bringing her in the house! We went straight to get a bath! Ralphie had an odor going on and it was due to a little yeast infection on his neck. Any spots that look different? Maybe in a skin fold somewhere?

We didnt get a chance to do the bath last night so we will do it today - and I will definitely be looking for funny spots hidden in his fur. The hairless parts (around the guys) are all fine - no open looking areas there.

Possibily mildewy - just SOUR if that makes sense, not normal wet-lab smell. Even when he doesnt have a collar on, so it isn't that (you know how those can get nasty too).

I wonder if food could cause this? We have been on the rollercoaster the last few months - he is on Canidae right now - is on the tail end of a 40 lb bag, skin looks goods good, not flakey and coat is nice, but wondering if that could cause the smell???