I need "back-up" suggestions please!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need "back-up" suggestions please!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need "back-up" suggestions please!

So Baloo really isn't doing so well on Orijen. 

I am soooo saddened by this as I REALLY love the food, all my criteria checks out with it, and so on. Peanut is doing great, but she is my little "garbage disposal", so that's no litmus test, really. (I think I could feed Peanut a strict diet of only cheerios, and she would still thrive. :)

His poops have been pretty consistently icky since the switch (very very soft most times - hardly "pickupable") And he seems to have lost a little of the lustre from his coat. And, seemingly as soon as we switched, he got an ear infection.

I'm going to try him on the fish formula (same ratio ca/phos as the LBP - well, phos is 0.1 pt higher in the fish I think, but very very close) and see if he's not just having trouble with the turkey (he's never had it before, so I don't know)..... ???

So anyways: 2 main questions for the board:

Any ideas on what exactly it might be that he's reacting negatively to about the food?

And the one I'm most interested in:

Any recommendations on a good "back up" food, if the Orijen really doesn't work out? (I REALLY don't want to go back to TLC, for many reasons. There HAS to be something better I can give him that will work well for him.)

I prefer grain free, but if that's what he's having "issues" with (high protein, etc.), then I guess I can't.  :-[

Any help is appreciated!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need "back-up" suggestions please!

Kate,

You know I am not an expert. I admire your motivation to find the best food and desire to use something from your our country.

All that said, I narrowed my choice for HK down to EVO Red Meat Large Bite and Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and rice (made by Diamond, I forget their name for it.) I chose the Kirkland as the first try since the price is so good, ~$17(US) for 40 lbs. HK loves it and seems to be doing fine on it. In addition she was getting rashes on her belly that i have been applying ointment to almost daily. I had assumed in was the swamp water she was getting in to, but the rash continued after I started preventing her from getting into the swamp water. The next conclusion was something in the tall grass she ran through. Well! Since working throughthe change in food the rash severity and frequency has decreased to the point of gone for three days now. Hmmm! 2 days ago was when the food switch over was completed. I am starting to think something in her Eukanuba LBP was the source? Wheat and Corn????
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How long has he been on it now, Kate?

Any ideas on what exactly it might be that he's reacting negatively to about the food?
    Could be for a number of reasons. Reaction to a particular ingredient, not tolerant of the high protein, etc., or it could be that his system is simply taking it's time to adjust. Going from a regular kibble with grains to grain free is quite a leap.

Orijen is very ingredient dense and that doesn't suit all dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh no! So sorry he isn't doing well on the Orijen! We just made the switch for Jonah to Orijen as well, he was having those soft stools on the Wellness, and after reading too many people that experienced the same thing with Wellness, we jumped ship on it (and probably sooner than we should have, as we had just switched from proplan). I really liked the ingredients of Wellness, but decided to switch to the Orijen because of the poop factor with Wellness (plus I had originally wanted it, but couldn't find it at the time, then found it while looking for something else). So far Jonah's poops have hardened up so most of them are pickupable, other than maybe one a day (before I was having to wash into the grass with water; couldn't pick them up at all).

How long has he been on the Orijen (I think it was pretty recent that you made the switch, right?)? I'd try the fish, I did read some dogs don't do as well on the turkey.

I haven't heard very much negative about Orijen so far (I've read several boards and reviews). I can't stand this food craziness we are going through with our dogs! I hope you find a solution that works for Baloo! Please let us know if you end up trying the fish formula and if it has success for you. Also, have you heard back from your vet on Orijen?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Who knows why your boy is not doing well on Orijen. Just goes to show that not all dogs do well on the same food. My guys did poorly on Canidae ALS.

You could try the Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free). You can get a coupon as well:
    www.naturesvariety.com/tryit

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I haven't heard back from the vet as of yet. I'll give her a couple days before I bug her. hee hee!

Baloo has been completely on Orijen for about 2-3 weeks now, I think.

I was hoping hoping hoping that he was having trouble because I jumped the gun on the switch (only switched over about 4 days, should have been longer. :-[) His poops did get a little better than they were originally (I've also been supplementing with a bit of pumpkin to help out) but they're still not nearly where I'd want them.

I was also hoping that maybe I was feeding too much, so I cut back a little. Again, better but not good.

I haven't heard anything negative about Orijen either, which is why I'm so sad. I really wanted it to work for him.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If he has been on it for 2-3 weeks, I'd probably give it one more week and see how it goes. After that period if there is no improvement I'd consider putting him on something else. Maybe not grain free? I like Eagle Pack.

LKG

Daisy was on Nutro Large Breed Puppy at the breeder's so we kept her on that until she was about 8 months old. I made the switch to Kirland Chicken & Rice mostly because of the price. She did okay on it, no real glaring issues but I knew that she could be doing better. So, I made the change to Innova Adult (not EVO, she's too young for the high protein content) and she has really thrived. Her coat is shinier than ever and her poops are small & solid. I get many compliments on how shiny her coat is and I believe it is largely due to the food.

Good luck!

Maybe you're feeding too much.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Sounds like exactly what I just went through with my guys on Innova EVO red meat. See my "food" post in LC from today.

I know. It's frustrating as hell.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast