About the hips...

Thread: About the hips...

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAbout the hips...

Don't mean to hijack the other post, but I wonder if someone could let me know how you would go about finding out that your lab might have a hip problem, before deciding on getting the vet to do expensive tests. Saba swings his hips a lot when he walks. But that doesn't mean anything, right? He just turned 2 and I have a warranty from the breeder for 2 years from the date I got him (which will be in 2 months) for any hip issues. So I thought I might try to get him checked out at the vet's just in case, becuase this way the $$ I get from the breeder might cover some of the medical expenses, if any. Don't mean to sound money oriented but I'm not exactly swimming in it... plus I wonder if the hip swinging means anything and if I should be concerned.
    Thank you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: About the hips...

The swinging of the hips could just be normal walking. Dogs tend to sway when they are walking and not trotting. Mine do the same thing and they are not dysplastic.

I believe the only way to diagnose hip dysplasia is through x-ray and physical examination.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

What Trickster said.

Also, I believe, (and I could be wrong) that your guarantee is the same as mine...?

If so, then I'm pretty sure that it states that if you have to put him down due to hip issues in the first two years, you'll get a replacement pup. :-\

I usually watch Baloo's behaviour, from what I've heard, that's the first sign to owners that there's a problem.

So i watch to see if he struggles to get up from a laying position, or seems to be sore at all, or seems to be reluctant to run/jump, etc. Even that isn't a guarantee of "hip health", which is why I'll be getting him xrayed when he goes in to get neutered (probably around 18 months) Even that isn't a guarantee! *sigh*

If Saba isn't having any issues, doesn't seem to be hurting at all, then I wouldn't worry about it. Cross that bridge if you ever come to it. (And I hope you don't!!)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys, makes me feel better and I won't worry about it... Yeah, Kate, it's the same as yours, but I do remember her mentioning that it's also depending on the type of problem etc. etc.
    Eeeh, I won't worry about it till I see some signs. And I hope I never do... I'll just watch his butt sway when we walk

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Saska sways when she walks, so do quite a few labs at the dog park, I used to be worried it is good to read that it is quite normal, when she trots her hips are straight so hopefully her hips are good. ONLY time will tell

Dani is offline Senior Member

Actually, depending on the swagger of his gait, it could be an indicator of a problem. I was taking a handling class with Rider to get used to the show ring, when the instructor, who is an AKC judge, mentioned that I should get Rider's hips x-rayed because his gait looked off from behind by the way he swayed his hips. I went and sure enough, he has a mild case of HD in one hip. He has never showed any other signs...no discomfort, we compete in agility, hunt tests and dock diving, and is healthy otherwise.

I paid for 1 set of x-rays...and it was worth it. I can now hopefully manage this so that it doesn't worsen with age.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003