distructive chewing

Thread: distructive chewing

Defaultdistructive chewing

Ok have another one for you guys.

Jessie will be 2 in October. She was crate trained . She has been out of her crate at night for over 6 months. She hasn't been that bad at night. a plastic cup here or there an little action figure here or there. Now she has been out of the crate all together for 2 weeks. She was doing good, she really didn't do much damaga again. Now we went out yesterday for the better part of the day. I exercized her b4 we left. I left a bone for her. We came home to the cushion on the couch off and she had chewed the corner ( indside the cover, the foam ) about 6-7 chunks of foam not horribly where I have to toss it. So here's my question, How can I stop her form doing this again? Should I set the crate back up and put her in again when we are out? I asked about the marrow bones but now understand I should not leave her unattended with them. What can I leave her with to satisfy her chewing needs that will last a long time when I am out? is there any solution at all? lol TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: distructive chewing

Where are you leaving her? are you giving her free roam of the entire house? if so, I wouldn't. Leaving them with access to one or two rooms is fine to begin with. They don't "need" to free roam when you are gone anyway as they tend to sleep if sufficiently exercised and stimulated.

My dogs get shut in the kitchen/dining room/utility room at night and when they are alone in the house.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm with trickster - too much too soon.

At 1.5 I left Rocky uncrated. He did perfect for a few weeks but slowly started to nose around the apt. Eventually i become worried he'd eat something he shouldn't and get sick/choke. So back in the crate he went (It's a 1 bedroom so I wasn't able to restrain him to a room).

Limit the space your pup has and puppy proof that area - or go back to the crate

Some dogs do great with no crate at a very young age (under 1) while others just seem to never "get it" and are restrained to a crate (or a room) all their life. Do what is best for your particular dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

MUCH more exercise....and start off slowly.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

The answer should be a no brainer, crate her. Crating a dog is not a bad thing like alot of people think. I have a 3 yr old yellow and a 9 month old chocolate, and they are both crated while we are at work and while we are sleeping, well, when my wife doesn`t give in and let our yellow sleep with us. Crating them is for their own safety. Lots of excercise, swimming seems to work the best for us. We are fortunate that our neighbor has a huge grape farm and one large and very clean pond that Bristol and Bailey thrive over. Best of luck

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have had my one man destruction team for 2 years and can't leave him alone. Even when I am in the house.

He is getting better, but can't be trusted. I use the crate if I can't watch him.
    It took Kassa awhile before I could leave her in the house alone.

Hope Jess learns soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

ok, yes she is restricted to the kitchen and living room. I figured the overall answer would be to re crate her. So we went out yesterday again for a while and came back to everything absoulutely fine. Could there be a link to when she has a bone finishs it and now is in chewing mode? b/c I didn't give her anything yest. and it was fine? I will give her one more chance, if she does anything else wrong I will start crating her while we are out. I just feel bad leaving her in there when we are out. I hope she doesn't do anything bad ( she probaly will ) I was surprised with how many still crate at night at her age.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

This chewing at age 2 has really raised my concern level. HK is only 8 months. We can't leave her loose wen we are out. We aren't crating her any more, but she has a restricted safe space. I so want to be able to trust her, give her more space and freedom, to leave some doors open and to take down the gates tothe Living and Dining room. When home, she will often wander off to play in the family room or lay on that couch. But once a week she will attack a small area rug, towels hanging in a bathroom, a roll of toilet paper. The last two are manageable, but it is this lack of trust that i want to get behind us. I was hoping that 18 months/2 years would be a great target for accomplishment. Now I am concerned. I wonder what the average is. Of course, having just finished reading Marley and me, it could be 13 years.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I second Dani's advice.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" --
    Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" --
    Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" --
    Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of
    Nature's own Prozac and Valium" --
    Hippocrates

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

But Bob, we are living in the 21st century. We need a new way. We have to apply technology. Or do you think these ancient philosopher's are still valid. Of course they are!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.