Could he really still be hungry??

Thread: Could he really still be hungry??

DefaultCould he really still be hungry??

Hello all. It seems like everytime I post on here it's this or that about food, and this is no different. Riley is almost 14 months old now and weighs about 82 pounds. He had been on Innova Adult and was getting 3-3 1/2 cups a day. This last time I bought a bag of food I saw that the store I buy his food from started carrying Innova Large Breed Adult. I decided we'd try that since the kibble pieces are a little bigger and the ingredients are very similar. He really seems to like it, but I have had to increase his amount to 4 cups a day (he started looking even a little skinnier after the first week on the food), and just tonight he seemed hungry, so I asked him if he was, and he went crazy. I gave him about another 3/4 cup and he devoured it. (I know, I know...most of you are probably like, "Well of course he's going to say he's hungry," but he honestly doesn't always respond that way when I ask him. He really does communicate with me about needing to go out, etc. ) We recently moved to a bigger house with a MUCH bigger yard, and I suppose he does get slightly more exercise here, but I just can't imagine that he would need close to 5 cups of food a day. I know he's probably got at least 10-15 pounds of filling out to do, but I guess I don't know if he really DOES need more food or if he's just started to become a little piggy and tricking me. Are there any more growth spurts he could possibly go through this late? Jeez, I hope not...he already looks like a small Great Dane with those legs. If he keeps up at this rate, this will probably be the last bag of the Large Breed formula, since the regular Adult would have lasted quite a bit longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Could he really still be hungry??

My answer is going to have nothing to do with Labs, or any other specific animal.

Input/Output: You can eat the mot fattening food you can find all day and not gain weight if your activity level is burning it off. Human, dog, cat, elephant, mouse. It is a simply concept. If you don't burn it off, it gets stored as fat.

Back to Lab specific: Shouldn't a Lab at 14 months be at full adult size and muscle maturity? This may be a dimb question, I don't know.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Caseys Mom Guest

There's a really BIG difference in kcals/cup between those two foods. The regular Adult has 557kcals/cup and the Large Breed has only 350.
    So.... 3.5 cups of the Adult is 1950 kcals
    To equal that many kcals with the Large Breed, you'd have to feed 5.57 cups a day.
    Riley's not lying when he tells you he's still hungry.

Inova info:
    http://www.naturapet.com/brands/innova.asp

Ed - The answer to your question is it depends. Some lines develop more slowly than others and it woudn't be that unusual for an intact male not to reach his full development until age 3. The girls are a little quicker.
    Casey, who is spayed and from field lines, reached her full adult height by about 10-11 months but over the next 8 months (approx) she changed from flat puppy to deep chested, tucked waisted adult shape and gained 7-8 pounds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Interesting! Always willing to learn more.

My bet is that the women on the board will all agree about the males taking longer to mature, animal or human.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My bet is that the women on the board will all agree about the males taking longer to mature, animal or human.
    Hey!! It's what keep us young ;D ;D

And just imagine what families would be like if those gender characteristics were reversed!!

Each has its advantages/disadvantages, its liabilities/benefits -- that's why both exist and have been retained evolutionally.

And that's why melding the two, the yin and yan, can sometimes form the best of both, often some conflict, (and sometimes BIG problems).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, great response, Lynn/C's M.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

CaseysMom-Wow...can't believe I didn't even think to check the CALORIES per cup...and after all the food research I've done. :-[ Duh. Anyway, I guess he was pretty much on track with about 5 cups then. Hehe, silly puppy. Now to decide whether to stick with the Large Breed or go back to the Adult. Hmm.
    :-\