marrow bones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marrow bones

Defaultmarrow bones

Ok I need info on Marrow bones. I picked them up from the store. Now do I boil them? How do I get all the gunky stuff off of them if I don't? What are the health concerns about her having these in the house? (bacteria wise) How long does a moarrow bone typically last? Is this something I can leave out for her on a daily basis while I am at work? Tia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: marrow bones

Don't boil them, will cause the bones to splinter. If you're worried about an upset stomach, you can scoop out some of the marrow. In the beginning, the best thing to do is to freeze them, then let her have it for about 10 mins and then take it away and freeze it again. I'm not sure I would let her have it unsupervised. Some dogs have been known to get them stuck on their lower jaws.

Some dogs have been known to get them stuck on their lower jaws.
    ah, yep...that has happened even right under some people's noses!!

My guys get marrow bones every Saturday. It's almost as if they know what day of the week it is. Keeps them busy for some much needed me time! I take them straight from the freezer. Don't worry about taking the "icky" stuff off...the dog will take care of that. I usually put a towel under where my guys are having their's ... one of the dog's takes hers to her crate. If it's the dog's first time, let them gnaw for about 15 minutes and then put it back in the freezer. Sometimes the marrow is too rich for them and takes a while for their tummy to get used to it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jessiesmama
    Ok I need info on Marrow bones. I picked them up from the store. Now do I boil them? How do I get all the gunky stuff off of them if I don't? What are the health concerns about her having these in the house? (bacteria wise) How long does a moarrow bone typically last? Is this something I can leave out for her on a daily basis while I am at work? Tia
    the "gunky stuff" is the best part! Don't boil it. Freeze it first then give it to her. Once she looses interest put it back in the freezer, or toss it. I do not leave Elias unattended with any kind of bone.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

[How long does a moarrow bone typically last?
    Mine have worked on big marrow bones for anything up to 5 hours - somtimes more!

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

I go to publix and get two whole marrow bones, but I have them cut in half. I give Mambo one half piece right out the freezer. He will work on it for about 5 hours.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I get the big marrow bones from the butcher & I freeze them, then let the girls gnaw on the for about 20 minutes & back in the freezer. I let them have them once or twice a week & always under supervision.

skippin is offline Member

Mine love the marrow bones, but I had to stop letting them have them since my boy is a very aggressive chewer, and always breaks them up. Instead, I started getting the large knuckles- they are solid and don't splinter and usually have some fat and such on them which is the best part. Most people don't boil, but I do because livestock carry some wonderful diseases and bacteria, which are usually not a problem, but I am an over cautious nut, and the other reason is because I make my own biscuits and use the flavored water from boiling them as extra flavor in the treats. I only boil for 10-15 minutes, sometimes more or less, depends on the bones. Freezing is a great idea too, that can kill the yuckies too, and you don't get the odor from boiling. Either way, just watch closly the first few times to make sure they don't have any problems.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Just watch how she's chewing them, they can cause teeth breakage.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Teeth breakage add on.
    Natural bones
    Bully sticks
    Hard plastic chews, i.e. Nylabones
    Hooves
    What else can we give them?
    Flexibe Nylabones were suggested to me by vet. Tried one yesterday. Supposed to break off in pieces no large than a grain of rice. Well I guess tha ight be true is we are talking about sticky rice. Hershay Kisses breaks pieces off about the size of a quarter, definitely larger than a nickel and a good half inch thick. Sat there with her thinking the first break off was a flke, then a second, third, forget it, end of flexible nylabone experiment.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast