Oh No......Eating Other Dog's Poops!

Thread: Oh No......Eating Other Dog's Poops!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultOh No......Eating Other Dog's Poops!

We just got back from our morning walk and Breezy did something she has NEVER done before. She tried to eat another dog's poop. I didn't know what was in her mouth but saw her chewing on something, so I reached in her mouth with my hand and pulled out a small poop! Ewwwwww!! She has never done this before! I got it out, and then she found another, and same thing....I had to get it out of her mouth. Ahhhhh!! Not the way I like to start my day. I'm really concerned, mostly because she ate one of my hair scrunchies last week and has not passed it. At least, it has not come out WHOLE. I had her to the vet last Friday and she said as long as she is not vomiting (which she is not) and pooping and eating normally (which she is) to just keep an eye on her. I have been checking her poops every day, and no sign of the scrunchy or even the elastic band that is inside the scrunchy. I don't know if these scrunchies break down from the stomach acids; the Vet seemed to think it should come out in the same form as when it went in. Up until this morning her poops were normal. But this morning I noticed she pooped normal, then ran to another spot, strained a little, and a small amount of very soft poop came out, ran to another spot, strained a little and more soft poop. It almost seemed like maybe she was trying to pass the scrunchy but couldn't??? This is when she tried to eat the dog poop. I just read in one of my books that sometimes dogs will eat other dog's poop due to stress. I am wondering if she was stressed because she couldn't pass the scrunchy? I am really worried. The Vet wanted me to call her today if there was no sign of the scrunchy by now. I will definetly be calling her, but just wanted to put this out there in the meantime in case anyone else has experienced this, or could offer some advice or even just calm me down!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Oh No......Eating Other Dog's Poops!

My previous German Shepherd starting eating poop at one time, but I learned it was due to not quite feeding him enough to satisfy him. I was giving him enough to keep him healty and full, but he wanted like another 1/2 cup more I guess. Once I started giving him that extra amount durng feed time he stopped eating other poop! weird, but eh.

I hope Breezy will be ok! Have you looked up the manufacturer of the scrunchy to what it all made of and see if that would decompose in a dogs stomach? Isn't the acid in a dog's stomach like 10x more potent than humans!?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK went through a poop eating stage. I worked hard on 'leave it' and it seems to have stopped the consumption. She still gives any she finds a thorough aroma investigation.

Dog, Goose, Deer, rabbit, not sure what else she has found and devored. The goose dropping was the easiest to solve. The were in our neighborhood as they always ahve been. I had been holding HK back from chasing them. When the poop eating problem surface, I decided to let her chase them, at least there would be less left behind. Three days later, no more geese. Worked better than I planned.

Horse manure. I try to avoid any place where it might be present. I don't know what the owners feed the horses, but HK who is getting better and better as far as obedience (loose lead walking, heeling, off leash recall) can not resist it. I wonder if there is a fermentation taking place. It is like she is addicted to a drug and will fight me with all she can to get to it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Tootsie started eating my senior dog's poo at 5 mo. old. She would not go after any other dog's. Vet said it was in her head but I think that the older dog was not processing all the nutrients out of her food and passing them on. Toots will eat rabbit poo and deer poo is a delicacy. Never bothers her own except for a cursory sniff. Dogs in the wild were scavengers and anything of nutritional value was consumed. I think that may be a big part of it. Since my Sable is gone ,Toot ( now 1yr 4mo)shows no interest in any other poop except for deer & rabbit terds.