Canidae Dog (and Cat) Food

Thread: Canidae Dog (and Cat) Food

Azusateach is offline Member

DefaultCanidae Dog (and Cat) Food

I know that the opinions are as varied as people who post here, but I'm thinking I'd like to try a healthier food for my Lab & kitties. Canidae seems to be fairly popular with folks here, and there's actually a place nearby that I can get it.

I know I could do worse, but is there anything glaring that I need to know about this food? I'd be feeding just the dry.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Canidae Dog (and Cat) Food

Jes did well on it, other than his stools weren't as firm as on other foods. It seems to be a food that dogs do really well or really poorly on it. I have no idea why either. It does have really good ingredients, and by the label it's a good food. Whether or not it's a good food for your dog you'll just have to judge by the results.

There's not really anything to know about the food - it's not high in calories like an EVO type food, so you shouldn't have to be concerned about rapid weight gain.

Henry did awful on it. Horrible loose poops and even worse gas. :-X It was way too rich for him.

Having said that, what works for my dog may not for yours, and vice versa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We use Canidae Lamb and Rice and it works great for Toby... firm poops and shiny coat.
    But like the others said what works for Toby doesn't have to work for your dog. I would start with a small bag and see what happens.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've fed it for ~8 years or more now to my adults, so obviously I think my dogs have done well on it. Stools are very firm, no gas (well, unless they go gorge themselves on apples or pears!!!). My guess is that dogs that don't do well on it could be sensitive to Flax or some particular ingredient. Caloriewise, though perhaps not as high as some, it IS higher than average. It's 468 cal/cup. Most foods are ~350 cal/cup. -anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

We're feeding Champ Canidae All Life Stages. He has done really well on it so far - solid, smaller poops (much more solid than when he was on Iams LBP), no gas (though he's never been gassy), nice shiny coat (we supplement with fish oil), and he's a good slim build.

For us, the Canidae is a good food, since, ingredient-wise, it is a high quality food and Champ does well on it, but it is a LOT less expensive than the other premium foods out there.

However, like previous poster said, I've heard that labs either do very well or very poorly on it. I'd get small bag and give it a shot.

pj

i've kept both our dogs on the foods that their respective breeders fed them and our golden dexter eats canidae all life stages. he does great on it -- beautiful coat, solid poops, no gas. i agree with anne, calorie wise it is a little higher than the avg.

be sure to gradually switch over to any new food you try.