Orijen Dog Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orijen Dog Food

DefaultOrijen Dog Food

I thought I'd start a new post to ask this question to those of you who are switching to/thinking of switching to/or already using Orijen Dog Food....in particular the regular adult food.

As it seems this brand has recently become very popular (at least based on dog sites it seems this way):

Do you know others that have used this food for a good stretch of time and found their dogs did really well on it? Is this why you've decided to switch, or is it just because you like the ingredients?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Orijen Dog Food

I switched because I have seen other doing well on it. My regular food will be discontinued so I have nothing to lose.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky was doing well on Performatrin ultra, but i still found it had abit too many grains. Part of me is wondering if this food will suit him better (less grains and wheats) and maybe...just maybe...give him abit more energy (I know, long shot)

Another big thing is that it's made in Canada. For me this means fewer questions about where the ingredients are from (though it's not clear if any of their ingredients are imported or all actually made in Canada). It means helping a Canadian company as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here was my train of thought:

1. I needed a high quality, grain-free kibble to feed due to Henry's history of yeast issues. (I'm feeding one meal raw, one meal kibble).
    2. I had narrowed the choices down to (in no particular order, just how I'm remembering them!) Orijen, Go Natural!, Evo, Nature's Variety Instict, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Wellness Core.
    3. I prefer to support Canadian, family-owned companies/businesses. That narrowed the list down to Orijen (Alberta) and Go Natural! (BC).
    4. I loved the facts that:
    a) Orijen's ingredients are locally fished/farmed, are federally inspected, human grade and are processed fresh (not frozen)
    b) Orijen is produced exclusively in its own factories in Alberta. NO outsourcing.
    Given the recent dry food contamination scares, this was extremely important to me to know where what I was feeding my dog came from. (And his raw food? Comes from local (organic) farms.)

So, that's why I chose Orijen.

I also liked that they are the only grain-free kibble (so far) to offer not only a puppy formula, but a large-breed puppy formula. With a pup joining our household next year, it was something I had to consider as well.

I didn't know anyone personally who was feeding it before we started on it. I can tell you that Henry came off eating full-time raw to eating half raw and half Orijen and his poops are just as good as they were on raw, if not better.

My plan is to alternate between feeding Orijen Adult (chicken/turkey) and Orijen 6FreshFish so that Henry gets the best of both.

He's on his 2nd bag so far... and doing well!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I switched because I too need a grain free for one of my dogs. The food we are using now has begun smelling differently, and despite repeated requests for my pet food rep to find out if an ingredient change was made, no luck. But I'm convinced.

So, I needed to switch to something else grain free. And like Felicia, I prefer to support Canadian companies when at all possible. I like the ingredients very much as well.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I switched because I wanted the best I could get for my dogs, and after much research, Orijen kept coming up.

Also, I very much like the fact that it is made, produced in Canada, and all the ingredients are local. Not only due to the recent dog food scare (recalls, etc) but because I want to support my local (Canadian) economy as much as I possibly can. I am VERY much anti-multinational corporations, especially when it comes to food/farming. The harm that they cause in this world is frightening, and I want to do my part to counteract that. olice:

But honestly, ultimately it came down to this; I want to feel good about what I feed my dogs. I want to know that I am feeding them as well as I possibly can, I want to be proud of the food that I feed.

It kind of disturbs me how much I sound like an Orijen commercial!!! Yikes!! ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks for all your responses. I swear I don't worry anywhere near as much about my own diet.....though I should. I'm really leaning heavily towards Orijen right now....hoping that grain free will get rid of her itchies or at least help.

Questions:

Not being up on naturopathic type ingredients, I'm not at all sure about all the botanicals it contains. ??? I haven't even heard of some of them. Is anyone up on this and are they all okay/good?

Glucosamine/Chondroitin (500 mg/kg and 150 mg/kg in the Adult) - Would you still supplement and how much? I don't know if you can over-do these supplements? I want to start using Cosequin DS, as this seems to be the supplement most people on JL recommend.

I wonder if the fish in their fish formula is wild or farmed? They didn't seem to mention this anywhere. I would definitely not feed a food containing farmed fish, but I'm guessing it probably isn't.....I hope. Does anyone know?

I guess the higher protein is okay as long as your dog doesn't have kidney issues?

TIA

Been doing research also on what to feed my puppy, and this has come up quite alot as well. Unfortunately its not sold in Missouri, it is however sold in Illinois. Now to find a store near the border, as I'm only like 30min away. For a highly recommended food as this, taking a short trip 1-2 times a month wouldn't be so bad.

Here's the linky to Orijen's different botanicals:
    http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...otanicals.aspx
    I have an appt with a holistic vet in a few weeks, so I'm going to be asking him about these... will let you know what he says!

See also this linky about their ingredients:
    http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...gredients.aspx

The fish in their fish formula is caught wild, "using sustainable harvesting practices" (from their website).
    The Fresh Water Fish Company of Canada advocates controlled and sustainable fishing practices, and so the fish caught to produce ORIJEN are fished in a responsible and sustainable fashion.
    I give Henry one Cosequin DS at each meal (2 per day) and he also gets an acidophilus supplement when he eats his raw meal.

I believe the higher protein level is fine, as long as your dog doesn't already have underlying kidney problems? (PM Nick...)

Thanks Felicia.

I'll check out the link you provided, but yes I'd be very interested in knowing what your holistic vet thought of all of them. I wish we had a holistic vet here. It seems like there is a lot of different botanicals in this food that I don't recall seeing in other foods. Thanks.

Re the fish: I wonder if the salmon is wild as well as the fresh water fish.

Re Cosequin: Is there just the one strength of Cosequin DS?

Re the higher protein: Well I guess it still wouldn't be as high as feeding raw, would it? I've got to do a little more research, but I would imagine that it would be similar protein percentages to other grain free dog foods, wouldn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast