Chronic ear gunk & funk...yuck! Any foods help with this?

Thread: Chronic ear gunk & funk...yuck! Any foods help with this?

DefaultChronic ear gunk & funk...yuck! Any foods help with this?

Have been told it's yeast and everytime I stop using the drops thinking it's gone, it's back.
    Within a couple od days after stopping treatment, the black/red gunk comes back. So does the ear shaking and smell.
    So we start the treatment again.
    Just switched foods to Pro Plan sensitive stomach & skin for some coat issues.
    Are there any foods you've tried that helps with the yeast ear trouble?
    I've heard some people using all natural and the ear trouble stopped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Chronic ear gunk & funk...yuck! Any foods help with this?

I feel your pain!! Henry was plagued with yeasty ears ever since he was a pup. Here is an article that talks about changes in diet for yeasty dogs... http://www.b-naturals.com/Apr2002.php

The foods to cut back or eliminate include:
    - All grains, including rice and pasta
    - Starchy vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, yams, winter squash, corn and green peas.
    - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (which is alkaline, while white vinegar is acidic)
    - Large amounts of dairy products
    - Fruits
    I switched Henry to one meal raw, one meal Orijen (grain free) and his ears have cleared up completely (*knock wood*).

Good luck!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

In my case chronic ear infections were just a small part of a bigger problem. Food was always just a temporary fix. Rarely is food ever the cause from what I have learned and was told. Most often it is an allergic reaction created by another skin disease. Others are over production of yeast, again IMO a side effect of possibly some other underlying problem.

I have even noticed in my own dogs that ear issues can crop up during times of stress and for one of them during her heat cycle.
    I know of a gal with another breed who also has a bitch who gets them during her heat cycle and she also had a nasty one while nursing a litter. I think the nursing one could have been cause by environment. Heat, moisture, etc.
    I also notice my boy gets them when my girl is going in season.

I do think diet is important though. A good diet = healthy dog. Healthy dog = stronger immune system.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Try a GRAIN FREE FOOD. My dog has never had ear problems since being on a grain-free diet (this includes treats). A little more costly but he never has to the vet because of his ears.

Have you tried the Purple stuff to treat them? I know some on here who swear by it.
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
    You still need to get the underlying condition fixed though. Weather it be food or maybe it's just not getting cleared up all the way before treatment stops so it's coming back.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I too would try a grain free food. While it does cost more you feed less so it evens out in the end.

Have also heard great things about the purple stuff.

Also heard you can substitute tee trea oil for the gentian violet in the recipe.

Are you cleaning the ears prior to putting the ear drops in? One of my Labs just got over this, turned out to be due to a supplement I give him, which contains alfalfa. I cut that out and he is doing fine now. One of the things I see in the pro plan you are feeding is brewer's yeast, some dogs tend to be allergic to this. I agree with others about perhaps finding a kibble without grains. Saying this though, my allergy dog is doing fine right now on Merrick, which does contain some grains.

Good luck it is always a pain trying to find the right foods for our dogs sometimes

Jen

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would switch to grain free, evaluate and then see if you need to do anything else.

I actually do not routinely clean my dogs' ears. Only if they get red and irritated. I use the formula from laura's site except i use tea tree oil instead of the gentian violet. Usually after one cleaning, the irritation is gone. Otherwise, my dogs have clean, healthy smelling ears without me fussing with them.