For those that feed or have fed Wellness and/or Orijen - crosspost
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that feed or have fed Wellness and/or Orijen - crosspost

DefaultFor those that feed or have fed Wellness and/or Orijen - crosspost

I may have posted this in the wrong section the first time.....

Okay, poopy talk: When we first brought Jonah home almost 2 weeks ago we went through several days of diahhrea and vomiting. He got over that, but his poops never hardened up, but rather are very soft. We switched him to Wellness last week (slowly from the canned special diet they had him on while he was sick). Jonah is still having very soft stools. We are having a fecal test tomorrow again, and they are also going to test for Coccidia (sp?) and Giardia.

I found some old posts that mentioned their dogs had loose stools on Wellness. I'm wondering if you feed or did feed Wellness did you experience that?

If you feed Orijen, have you experienced anything like that (loose stools)? We are thinking if the fecal tests come back negative, we are possibly going to switch to Orijen. I called a local store who carries the regular, but she said if I let her know by noon tomorrow she'll order the puppy Orijen when she places her order, so I need to make a quick decision or buy another small bag of Wellness and wait a few weeks to start the switch. I DO know to switch slowly over a period of a week or two.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: For those that feed or have fed Wellness and/or Orijen - crosspost

Which Wellness are you feeding? My dog did not do well on their Sweet Potato and Fish food, but does great on their grain-free food, Wellness Core.

I'm feeding the Wellness Puppy (Jonah is almost 12 weeks). They don't have a CORE for the puppies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I wanted to switch Molly to the Wellness Adult when she was 10 months old. By the time I was halfway through the switch she started to get very loose stolls. I really liked the food & Molly ate it well, but I thought maybe it was too rich for her. I put her back on her ProPlan Chicken & her stools were nice & firm. I tried it again when she was a little over a year old & the same thing happened. So we went back to the ProPlan Chicken.
    All dogs are different & you have to feed what works for your dog. Molly's coat is shiny, no ear problems, no itchiness & firm stools. So I'm sticking with what workks for her. Abby also eats the same thing.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Give it some time to adjust. I never take two weeks to move dogs over. I usually have my dogs on a new formula in 4-7 days. Then again I have never had a problem with any dogs during a switch from brand to brand or puppy to adult.
    I also never had the soft stool problem on Wellness.
    His stomach still may be adjusting from the bout he had before. Don't continue flip flopping and switching or IMO you will just create more of a mess.
    Kim

Henery always had soft poops when he ate kibbles. It was always pick-up-able but never hard.

Wellness and Canidae did make him have softer poops, for sure. Canidae was way too rich for him and he had horrible gas. He then ate Holistic Blend and did pretty well on that poop-wise, but was plagued the entire time with yeasty gungy ears.

So, I made the switch to raw and his poops firmed up for the most part though occasionally he would have softer poos. He now eats Orijen and his poos are similar to what he had eating raw. So, to answer your question, on Orijen, he has pretty good poos.

I agree with Kim though... let his tummy settle a while yet on the Wellness... it might not be food related at all.

You might try feeding less.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    You might try feeding less.
    I agree, how much are you currently feeding? My dogs had solid stools on wellness but I feel that it doesn't have enough fat to keep their coat in top condition. That being said, wellness chicken is the only food Darwin will eat with any consistancy so he will stay on it as long as he wants I have two of my dogs on Orijen and they have solid stools as well. Be sure if you go with Orijen, you get the large breed formula as there is a difference in calcium levels between that and the regular puppy.

I hope your ride on the food rollercoaster is a short one

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

If you are going to switch to Orijen, make sure you do it s l o w l y......

I rushed it, a little eager to get off the food I was currently feeding (that and peanut is a walking "garbage disposal", has never had any poop issues and I've switched her a few times, figured no big deal...) And Baloo had some pretty yucky poops. Very very soft, even some diarrhea. They are MUCH better now, but I think that if I had done it more slowly he would have adjusted much easier.

My bad. :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I had the opportunity in one of our local pet shops that has sample packs of almost all the premium foods. I used to take a variety once a week to use as training treats. I am talking of our Hershey Kisses when she was 3-7 months old. She would get loose stools to the point of diarrhea from all of the Wellness products. This did not happen with any of the others. Innova, EVO, Wolf something, I can't remember them all. I don't know how much is in those sample packs, less than a cup I think. And a sample pack would last 4-5 days so she wasn't getting a lot of any of them. It took me a while to put the correlation together. It appears there is something in the product that she does not tolerate well. I t does not mean that it is not a good product. Just not good for HK.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast