Cold Tail Syndrome?

Thread: Cold Tail Syndrome?

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

DefaultCold Tail Syndrome?

I am out of town visiting my parents and brought my oldest labby Sunshine on the ride with me for company (14 hr drive). We went for a walk yesterday afternoon and she was in and out of a pond and was loving it. At 11 o'clock last night she gor really restless and when I looked at the tail I knew it was back - cold tail or limp tail syndrome.

Two years ago we were up with her in July, it was raining and clod and she still was in the water and then ended up with this problem - when we got home they gave her a shot, told us to keep her out of water for a week or so and that was it. That time we didn't know what it was so she continued to go into the water and make it worse. This time she will not be in water again at all - the emerg vet (phone did not want me to come in)told me aspirin but we also have Metacam (Meloxicam?) in the house for my little arthritic dog - since this is an aniti inflamitory would it be safe to give it to her? We don't have a emerg vet open - could we give this?

Does anyone else have suggestions if your dogs have gotten it? We were a bit shocked it happened - we were up a month ago and she had no problems - only difference was warmer water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cold Tail Syndrome?

Sammi just had a bout of it, lasted aprox. 7 days, just treated with asprin and rest. I didnt see any reason for a vet visit, it will resolve on its own in time-Good luck hope your pup has her "waggle" back real soon!

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

My two get it occasionally. If they are swimming and romping around in the water too much is when it happens. I don't think water temps are a big factor, it's more like overuse. I just make them rest and usually in a few days they are back to normal. It's a little painful for them ,when their tails are inflamed. I haven't taken them to the vet for it,though I think there is some anti-inflamatories available.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You can also try warm compresses on that area.
    Olie

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys! I'll keep treating it with aspirin and rest and hopefully there will not be too much pain on the drive home - I just hate to see her sore like this!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly has gotten that a few times. I kept her out of the water & in a few days it was better.