Canned meat question...

Thread: Canned meat question...

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultCanned meat question...

One of my 10 yr old dogs, Jonah has diabetes, it is new to us and we are all still learning how to deal with it.
    I have noticed recently that he seems to be perking up again and has more energy and lust for life.
    I have started giving him a 400g can of pedigree chum dog meat a day.
    He has half a tin mixed with 1 cup of kibble twice daily, followed by his insulin shot.
    I started it because he lost his appetite and was losing weight.
    I posted my good news about Jonah's improved health on my blog and a family friend who was a vet tech said don't give him too much tinned meat, fill him up with rice.
    Is there a specific reason he shouldn't be having canned dog food, it's a quality brand and only a 400g tin per day- any advice would be welcomed.

Kate

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Canned meat question...

I'm not sure either to be honest. You are best asking your actual vet for advice -- no disrespect to the vet tech. I personally don't see a problem in feeding canned unless feeding it somehow adversely affects his diabetes. But like I said, you should ask your vet.

The only suggestion I have is maybe switching to a higher quality wet food. Pedigree is not great in terms of quality ingredients. NatureDiet and Natures Menu are the best wet foods on the UK market.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I'm not sure either to be honest. You are best asking your actual vet for advice -- no disrespect to the vet tech. I personally don't see a problem in feeding canned unless feeding it somehow adversely affects his diabetes. But like I said, you should ask your vet.

The only suggestion I have is maybe switching to a higher quality wet food. Pedigree is not great in terms of quality ingredients. NatureDiet and Natures Menu are the best wet foods on the UK market.
    Thanks Trickster i'll look out for it next time i'm out- 

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Most pet shops sell them both.

Here are the ingredients comparatively:

PEDIGREE TINNED MEAT

INGREDIENTS:
    Meat and animal derivatives (minimum meat claimed 4%, minimum 4% fresh meat), Cereals, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and fats, Minerals, Contains EEC permitted colourants and preservatives

NATUREDIET

INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken Min 60%, Brown Rice Min 15%,Carrots Min 8%, Natural Ground Bone, Kelp, Vitamins & Minerals

NATURES MENU

INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken min 61% peas min 4%, carrots min 4% rice min 6% vitamin A, vitamin D3, tocopherol

I'm not sure I would "fill him up with rice," especially since he has diabetes. I would be watching his carb intake and ingredients that could possibly raise his blood sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Most pet shops sell them both.

Here are the ingredients comparatively:

PEDIGREE TINNED MEAT

INGREDIENTS:
    Meat and animal derivatives (minimum meat claimed 4%, minimum 4% fresh meat), Cereals, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and fats, Minerals, Contains EEC permitted colourants and preservatives

NATUREDIET

INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken Min 60%, Brown Rice Min 15%,Carrots Min 8%, Natural Ground Bone, Kelp, Vitamins & Minerals

NATURES MENU

INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken min 61% peas min 4%, carrots min 4% rice min 6% vitamin A, vitamin D3, tocopherol

Wow that's one hell of a difference, and here's me thinkin pedigree is a good brand- i will def look out for it next time i stock up the dog food-

as for the rice i too thought that about the carbs/blood sugar levels so i'll be giving that in moderation.

Thanks guys, as usual you are all stars!