Advice on timing of switch to adult dog food (and type)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on timing of switch to adult dog food (and type)

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice on timing of switch to adult dog food (and type)

Misty is just over 9 months old. I have been feeding her exclusively Iams Large Breed Puppy food. I am wondering though on when to switch to adult food, and perhaps some advice on what type to switch to. If left to my own, uneducated devices, I would probably switch her to Iams Large Breed adult food somewhere around 1 year. I have been happy with the Iams, and Misty has done fine with it. However, I want to make sure I am giving her proper amounts of the various nutrients, and I know nothing about this at this point. Can someone offer me some advice -- would the switch to Iams adult at 1 year make sense, or should I switch now? Is there another food I would be advised to switch to? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Advice on timing of switch to adult dog food (and type)

People switch at different times. My breeder had me switch at 5 months. Some will say switch at 8 months. Some never feed puppy food. Some say switch at a year. If you got your dog from a breeder, ask them. If not, at 9 months I would be comfortable switching to an adult food. Large breed adult food isn't really necessary, it's a marketing gimick - there isn't enough glucosamine/chondroitin in those foods to make a difference. If you want your dog to have G/C, then supplement on you own for that.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

kidsmom told it as well as it can be told. When to switch and what food is best, or what foods are acceptable are volatile topics and you will never find the one right answer. All you can do is what you think is best for your dog.

What I think I found was that when you switch, if your dog is still growing, try to avoid adult foods with high calcium and or phosphorus level.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Folks --

kiddsmom -- I'm clueless for the most part about glucosamine and chondroitin (except that the last multivitamin I bought for myself has them in it...whatever that means!) You seem to imply that one might want these for a large breed dog -- what do they do, and why would a large-breed dog owner want to consider these nutrients? Also, Endofile, what's the problem with the calcium and phosphorus, (just curious), and what would you consider to be a "high" level?

STeve

Glucosamine Chondroitin (sp?) is good for the joints in Large Breed dogs. My vet suggested change from puppy food at 5 months. I actually waited until 7 months. Here is a link of something I found on the internet. Hope it helps.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=670

CHOCO --

Thanks for the info, and the informative article. I do remember now reading about these substances for humans (help for joint problems). It makes sense why you'd want to use them with a large-breed dog.

Steve

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I can't provide numbers on what are good and bad. Your vet or maybe birdbranz is good source of this kind of information. Innove makes some products with lower calcium.phosphorus,a nd wel as Diamond C&R, and Kirkland C&R, and many others also.

As I understand the clacium/phsphorus issue, although the pups need both we need to control it. (i.e. Yogurt treats should be held off until the growth plates close.) Too much calcium may result in issues at the growth plates and contribute to joint problems. That is my understanding, have not read anywhere that giving more calcium is good.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labby is offline Senior Member

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petfood.htm

You can switch your dog over now to adult without a problem.

Most Lab breeders are switching their puppies over to adult food at 3-5 months of age, again watching the calcium/phos. levels as well as the ME (energy) produced by the food.

Since most of the Lab breeders I know feed ProPlan, its not an issue.

Laura

Thanks labby and Endofile for the info, and for the FDA link. Sounds like a switch can take place now at any time. Labby -- do you consider Iams to be as quality of a food as ProPlan, or should I consider switching to ProPlan, in your opinion? Endofile -- I have not heard of the Diamond and Kirkland brands; I have heard of Innova but don't know much about this brand either. Would you recommend any of these in particular?

Steve

Dani is offline Senior Member

Steve, while I am not a fan of Iams, if Misty is doing well on it...leave her on it. But do check with her breeder.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast