Just switched to Evo Red Meat Kibble. Quick Questions?????

Thread: Just switched to Evo Red Meat Kibble. Quick Questions?????

DefaultJust switched to Evo Red Meat Kibble. Quick Questions?????

I just switched Bogey over to Evo from Nutro. He loved the sample packs that I gave him.Everything that I have read is really positive about the quality of this kibble.

Well I just picked up a 28 pound bag of food and would like to know if anyone else has had experience with Evo?

How much Evo are you feeding you lab?
    Bogey is 82 pounds and in excellent condition, he is 2 years and 3 months old, swims at the lake at least once a week, is on his run in the back yard for about three hours a day, he is also no longer crated so he's up and around my house all day. What I'm getting at is that the big guy is pretty active.

The bag recommends 2 and 1/2 cups per day so I'm going to start with that.

Any thoughts, good or bad would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just switched to Evo Red Meat Kibble. Quick Questions?????

Me too! Have to make a decision betweem EVO and Kirkland Chicken and Rice this wekend. Just enough Eukanuba LBP to make the transition left.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Never tried it, though I'm tempted to buy the regular EVO formula once this bag runs out.

In terms of how much to feed - the failsafe way to find out is to weight the amount of food you're currently feeding. The most accurate measure of kcals in the food is kcals/kg. If you're feeding 1kg of the current food (just for example) that has 4,000 kcals/kg, then you'll need to feed roughly the same amount of the EVO which is 4,035kcals/kg. Then you figure out how many cups it takes to get to that amount of weight.

Significantly easier is to to take the number of cups that you currently feed and multiply that by the kcals/cup number found on the bag of kibble. Once you know how many total calories you're feeding right now, divide that by the kcals/cup figure (487 kcals/cup for EVO Red Meat) to find out how many cups of the new food to feed. For example, if you're feeding 1,600 Calories per day of the old food (i.e. 4 cups of 400 kcals/cup food) then you'll need to feed 1,600 kcals / 487 kcals/cup = 3.29 cups of EVO Red Meat to provide exactly the same amount of Calories.

The only problem is that some foods are more digestible than others, so while you may be feeding the same amount of total calories, the dog may be using more of one food than the other. In any event, it's a good start that should get you close enough that you won't have to make drastic changes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Never tried the red meat, but I did feed the regular EVO for a few months. Dutch is 85 lbs. and he got 1 cup in the am and 1 in the pm. Never showed any signs of hunger, etc.
    I can't remember what I was looking for, but I ended up going back to the Kirkland C&R for him.

thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!!!!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I feel the regular EVO and have for 2 years. Rider is 85 lbs and complete muscle. He eats 2 cups a day. 1 cup in the morning and 1 at night. He get's a lot of exercise...though I wouldn't consider him to be an over active dog...just an above average active dog.

EVO will pack on the pounds if you are not careful. Monitor the weight as you go through this transition. Good luck.

I am very satisfied with Rider and this food. Small, firm stools, clean ears and no dandruff.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Agree with Dani - Morgan is around 85 and eats 1 cup am and pm.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have a pup from last litter that owner has on Evo and she is doing very well (regular Evo).

I would figure out the cal/cup that you were feeding on the old food and then figure out how many cups of the Evo would equal the same calories fed per day of the old food, so that you don't over feed.

You will feed less of the Evo.

Example: I was feeding one dog 3 cups per day of her old food, then switched to grain free Natures Variety Instinct and she is eating 2 cups/day and maintaining her weight.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake was getting 2.5 cups Eagle Pack twice a day, he now eats only 3/4c of EVO twice daily. I supplement with green beans because he kept acting like he was still hungry, but he hasn't lost any weight.

I would consider him average activity level as well. We walk about an hour per day, about 20 minutes of retrieving and some obedience and agility training thrown in for good measure

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy