post-whelp dam care

Thread: post-whelp dam care

Defaultpost-whelp dam care

Hey all,

Our three-year-old yellow, Elsie, whelped a litter of nine (eight surviving) gorgeous pups eleven days ago. ;D All are thriving, gaining weight, and developing wonderfully (you can read more about that and see pictures at http://labtails.blogspot.com).

Elsie is an attentive mom (this is her first litter), nursing and stimulating the pups as she should. She developed mastitis early on (when the pups were 3-days old), but that's cleared up nicely, and she shows no sign of recurrence.

Her teats, however, are developing raw spots from the pups' nursing habits. I've already clipped the pups' nails twice, but Elsie still looks pretty sore in some places.

Her diet is fine, her coat is healthy and soft (she's eating four times a day and getting additional supplements), and the rest of her skin looks fine. She's also producing plenty of milk as the pups are growing well.

Any suggestions on what we can put on her "udder" to soothe the scratches and aid healing, but that would also be safe for nursing pups? ???

I wondered about "udder balm" (used on cow udders") or Eucerin (what I used when I was sore nursing my children decades ago), but I'm not sure about their suitability for nursing puppies.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: post-whelp dam care

Hi, we have several breeders on this forum that should be able to help you. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out your puppy blog.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks, Amy. Our vet suggested plain lanolin, but I'd love to hear other breeder perspectives.

I look forward to hearing more input! It's a great forum. ;D

Joan

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't put anything on her teats. Whatever you put on there will get into the pup's system. Bag Balm has antiseptic in it.

You might bathe her teats with warm water and a wash cloth. The bruising and redness are normal from the pups trying to suck the life out of her. It will only get worse as they get older. Just keep an eye on them to make sure there aren't any open sores.

Laura

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't put anything on her either. Just keep an eye on the pups nails and keep them trimmed to eliminate the sharp hooks.