Thread: .

Default.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Quality of life in an 17 mo. old w/multiple issues/hip dysplasia, anxiety, etc.

Sorry I don't have any advice other than to try to contact the behaviorist again. Some of it may be caused by the constant pain she's in from the HD maybe ???

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Quality of life in an 17 mo. old w/multiple issues/hip dysplasia, anxiety, etc.

You definately need a behaviorist and may be able to find one in your area that is reasonable.

I can imagine how you feel. But, she is still young and should be able to be "rahabilitated" from the life and behavior allowed prior to your getting her.

I'm not fond of them but have you tried a bark collar on her? Maybe not the type that zap the dog but the type that spray water in their face or the like when they bark.

Have you tried crating her for just 10 min. at a time and then letting her out and gradually working her up to more time - in the hopes she will adjust?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You definitely need to have a behaviorist come to your home and work with her. If you post where you live, maybe some folks here can recommend someone. A lot of this cannot be learned in books or on TV but must come from an experienced behaviorist in what works and what doesn't. Watching Ceasar Millan work with someone for 10 minutes on a TV show will not help you learn how to deal with your dog. Your dog is likely different from the dog he's working with and may be reacting to different things. Also, they don't show how much time Caeser spent with the dog before taping and what the results were after he was gone. Also, most of dog training is about training the people - not the dog. Dysplasia is a pretty common thing among labs (unfortunately), but is can be successfully managed even without surgery. It doesn't sound like hers is bad enough to warrant being pts because of it. They're making wonderful advances with meds and surgical options. As far as crate training, lots of dogs don't like it at first but learn to live with it. What type of crate are you using? If airline (plastic hard sided) try wire. Also, one of the best things I've found to get a dog crate trained is to feed her in her crate and also give a stuffed kong to keep her busy. What do you mean when you say she didn't take to it and what have you done to crate train her? What are you doing to correct her behavior when she barks or growls? What level of exercise is she getting? How much time is she spending outside? I think the answers to these questions may help us to help you.

Why no meds?

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Quality of life in an 17 mo. old w/multiple issues/hip dysplasia, anxiety, e

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Why no meds?
    That's what I was wondering too. A person might consider pain medication as a first step and see if Allie moves with greater ease and comfort; being physically more comfortable and not having the stress of constant pain might improve her sleep too which might improve her 'personality'.....just a thought..... :-\

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Wow you have a lot going on.

One thing that has hit me half way through is the full water bottles on her back when she has H.D. I would have thought extra weight wasn't good for her hips. Ernie has serious H.D.

A lot of what you are saying I can understand. I had similar with Ernie. Rescue dogs often take longer to adapt because of previous issues they had. I had to deal with these first. Break the bad habits then start training.

Allie is still a pup so a lot of it will be puppy stuff. I can't help with the barking sorry.

Find what works for you. If I tried to correct Ernie I would get a nip/bite, he walked away or stood on his back legs fighting me. I found slowly, and gently, but firmly works for him.

He was used to running away. Couldn't wait to run. I thought if he trusted me it might help. It has taken 2 years,and is a different dog. More relaxed, and always looks to see where I am. Before he couldn't care.

At the moment his behaviour is not good. I am sure it is pain. I also try to keep him busy. It takes his mind off the pain and keeps him moving, and boredom is often a problem.

Up to 30 mins a day walking. Too much or too little isn't good for her hips. Swimming is the best and keep her weight down. I know it sounds a lot of work, but it pays off in the end. Ernie is 5 and if someone had done something about his hips earlier he wouldn't be in the state he is in now.

I took it you didn't want any meds for her anxiety.

If it is pain meds I would definitely use them. Erns is better with them. I have sore joints and not been taking my meds so know how Erns might be feeling. Horrible. did the vet give you any meds for the hips.?

Ernie didn't like the crate at first either. Now he loves it. Same with Kassa. I started with a couple of mins with the door closed and treats in there. I wouldn't be without a crate. My sanity.

Don't forget you are the boss. Dogs like to know their place in the pack.

I hope we have helped a a little. I know it is so frustrating.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/