Puppy Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Food

Our new puppy will be coming home in two weeks. She hasn't had a lot of time eating from her mother. She had a big litter & has been really weak. The breeder has the mom with the pups on and off throughout the day & has been feeding the puppies formula when the mom can't be there. We really want to put her on food that will help make up for what she isn't getting from her mom. She is healthy, but we want to make sure she stays that way.

Our last puppy was on Iams. He is now on Eukanuba and we were thinking of putting our newest addition on the puppy formula of Eukanuba too. If anyone has any thoughts we would appreciate it. Thanks for the input.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If your puppy is 6 weeks now (which she should be if she is coming to you in 2 weeks) she should be weaned by now.

I personally don't like either Euk or Iams - do you only have grocery store brands available to you?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mokhahouse is offline Junior Member

It would probably be best to keep your pup on what ever food the breeder weans her onto to avoid any stomach upsets. You can change her food to one of your choice once she has settled in with you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GoodDog is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mokhahouse View Post
    It would probably be best to keep your pup on what ever food the breeder weans her onto to avoid any stomach upsets. You can change her food to one of your choice once she has settled in with you.
    +1 and to the OP, there is nothing wrong feeding Euk or Iams. Good luck!

sarah is offline Senior Member

I would keep puppy on what the breeder is feeding until puppy is settled into your home. Toilet training a puppy is hard enough without having to deal with the runs at the same time! When puppy has established itself in your home look at changing to a brand you like.

This website is a good way to look at different food brands for your puppy:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Feed a Large Breed Puppy formula -- it has correct amounts of calcium and phosphorus to prevent premature maturation of the joints which often causes later problems (as many as 1 in 3 Labs).

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

amazongold is offline Senior Member

First of all, do not take the puppy home before 8 weeks of age. If they are still nursing and the breeder is supplementing with formula, that sounds like they are less than six weeks right now.

Second, use whatever the breeder is using to feed them after they are weaned, at least for the first couple of months. Some breeders will require that you use a certain food for puppyhood. Do you have a contract with the breeder?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

IF/WHEN you do change formulas, brands, the accepted way to do it is over a 10-14 day period -- 3-4 days of 3 parts familiar, 1 part new (3F: 1N), followed by 3-4 days 2F:2N, followed by 3-4 days 1F:3N, followed by 4N.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-13-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add 3-4 days to the last ratio
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've had the best success w/ uniform, slower growth using Euk Lg Breed puppy thru age one. I have tried other "better" formulas only to see knuckling or other uneven growth as early as 5-6 wks. The Ca/P is scaled down in Euk lbp to the right levels for my lines, apparently.

I agree w/ the others to be sure not to push that 8 wk window. Anne

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

at this point the breeder should already be supplementing their feeding with puppy food. I was feeding my pups food at 3 weeks. By 4 weeks Lily really did not want to nurse them at all any more. She did so maybe only once a day. I fed them puppy food ground down with formula and water in it and soaked it. By the time they went home at 7-8 weeks they were eating kibble on their own.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast