Looking for a low allergen food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a low allergen food

DefaultLooking for a low allergen food

I'm looking at switching foods to see if I can cut down on Dee's itchiness. Her current food does contain corn and wheat, but she's itched through three different types of food since I got her and one of them didn't have any corn or wheat in it. She actually had more problems while on this one as her ears were also yeastly. (maybe unrelated to the food) My Vet has recommended Royal Canin Skin Support. The first ingredient in it is Menhaden Fish Meal, but having googled this fish as I'd never heard of it, we aren't really keen on feeding it. Has anyone used RC Skin Support? It's one of their Veterinary Formulas.

My friend feeds "Orijen" and seems happy with it, but I've read that foods with a high protein percentage can be hard on the kidneys.

I'm going to have to do some research I guess, but would appreciate any suggestions on possible kibble alternatives....especially from those of you whose dogs have had "itchy" allergies that have improved on a different food. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Looking for a low allergen food

Do you know what Dee is allergic to? has she been for allergy testing? I'd recommend testing if you haven't already. It is hard to overcome a problem when you don't know what you are dealing with.

I've read that foods with a high protein percentage can be hard on the kidneys.
    From what I have read this has been proven incorrect unless the dog already has an existing kidney problem.

You might want to PM someone like Nick on this. I'm pretty sure it's him that has posted about the protein/kidney issue before.

Raw meaty bones are low allergen for most dogs.

Dogs are not designed to eat cereals which is why your dog is probably having difficulties.

In Australia we call it BARF (bones and raw food) diet. Most people who have dogs with allergies find it works very well. Do a websearch and you will find plenty of information.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Do you know what Dee is allergic to? has she been for allergy testing? I'd recommend testing if you haven't already. It is hard to overcome a problem when you don't know what you are dealing with.
    No, we haven't done testing yet....though we may end up doing it. Her allergies are not severe. She had yeast problems with her ears (mainly one ear) when she was a pup, but they're fine now with the occasional cleaning. She scratches a lot, but has never had any skin lesions per se.....not even a hot spot. We do have to watch her feet because she sometimes licks between her pads and they can get really irritated if we don't catch it early. The reason I thought I would try changing foods is because the itching has seemed worse on her current food. It could be a coincidence, but it's easy enough to give something else a try. I'm just not sure what yet.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab
    Dogs are not designed to eat cereals which is why your dog is probably having difficulties.
    In Australia we call it BARF (bones and raw food) diet. Most people who have dogs with allergies find it works very well. Do a websearch and you will find plenty of information.
    I don't think that's it in this case blacklab, because she had a lengthy period of time on a dog food that contained no corn or wheat....and the itching as well as yeasty ears were evident when she was on this food.

There are so many things it could be that I thought I would start by trying a different food....something considered to be low allergen. ???

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

why don't you look up the 2 new Nature Variety's formulas of Instinct (their grain free food). The rabbit and the duck/turkey don't use the menhaden fish meal, I don't think.. (though I have never heard anything BAD about it before your comment). And high protein is actually good for a dog, no need to worry about kidneys if you have an otherwise healthy dog.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hi protein is not hard on the kidneys, espcially a dog with healthy kidneys.

It is no longer believed that low protein benefits dogs with kidney failure. It is the opposite.

I know this because I dealt with KF for 1 1/2 years and fed 26% protein food with added chop meat in each meal and my girl did wonderfully to the age of 16 with no outward sings of the disease.

I feed Natures Variety Instinct www.naturesvariety.com

I would try a grain free food for you dog and see if it helps. Give it time for the old food and grains to get completely out of her system. Could take as much as a month on a new food.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill
    I don't think that's it in this case blacklab, because she had a lengthy period of time on a dog food that contained no corn or wheat....and the itching as well as yeasty ears were evident when she was on this food.

There are so many things it could be that I thought I would start by trying a different food....something considered to be low allergen. ???
    What foods have you tried? Even though they might not have had wheat or corn, did they have barley or oatmeal? If so, they are still cereal grains and can still produce yeast. As someone mentioned, try grain free.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I should have asked how old your dog is?

The grain free food you choose should be low in calcium if she is a growing pup.

Nat. Variety has a new rabbit formula that is only 1.12% calcium which would be okay.

Evo is way too hi (3.03%) until pup is one year old. And the Nat. variety chicken is 2.49% - better for 1 year and up.

Orijen's formulas range from 1.4 to 1.8%

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    why don't you look up the 2 new Nature Variety's formulas of Instinct (their grain free food). The rabbit and the duck/turkey don't use the menhaden fish meal, I don't think.. (though I have never heard anything BAD about it before your comment). And high protein is actually good for a dog, no need to worry about kidneys if you have an otherwise healthy dog.
    It's not that I'd read anything about the menhaden fish meal being bad, but if you google it you will find information about it being severely over-fished, which has caused other wildlife issues. This is what kind of put me off using it. I'd actually never heard of this fish until my Vet recommended trying this particular dog food.

Snowco & Cynlabs - Thanks for the info. on high protein and also the recommendation of NV. I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    I should have asked how old your dog is?
    She's three.

Kiddsmom - I believe the first one I used just contained rice as far as grains go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast