weight

Thread: weight

Defaultweight

I'm new so I hope I'm doing this right. My pup Chopper is a male Black Lab. He is 6 1/2 months old and he weighs 61lbs. Is that about where he should be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: weight

sounds about right. american or english style lab?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

They can vary quite a bit. Having worried about the size of my 5 and a half month old boy I was reminded that it's not the weight really, that's important, but the body condition, that will tell you if he's on course.

You should be able to easily feel the ribs but not see them, the dog should have a discernible waist. I'm sure others can add to what to look for, but that's generally what I go by.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's American, Thanks

Tanya is offline Senior Member

You could ask your breeder what their pups usually weight at that age - it would be a better comparison. As Baloo said there is a huge difference between pups. If the breeder isn't around than ask the vet.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK weighed 61 lbs this past Thurday, 8/30. Corn on August 8th, whats that 6 months 3 weeks. Pretty close to each other. Female and definitely built like a bench.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It depends on the dog. The best way to judge if your dog is at the correct weight or not is by his condition. You should be able to feel the ribs and he should have a visable waistline. If he is a field line Lab, he will most likely have a tuck up. If he is a bench line he probably won't.

www.purina.com/dogs/health/AdultBodyCondChart.pdf

Our little guy who is 3 and 1/2 months is almost 40 lbs - and he's skinny! you can see it in his pics that he's not an overweight lab by any means - you can definitely feel and even see his ribs when he is running or turned in a certain way. Everyone at the vet's office keeps telling us he's going to be "huge" - is this normal? He's so tall and long, hehe

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Our little guy who is 3 and 1/2 months is almost 40 lbs - and he's skinny! you can see it in his pics that he's not an overweight lab by any means - you can definitely feel and even see his ribs when he is running or turned in a certain way. Everyone at the vet's office keeps telling us he's going to be "huge" - is this normal? He's so tall and long, hehe
    If he is looking a little skinny he is probably going through the 'ganglies'. Puppies can look all out of place from anywhere between 3-18 months -- skinny bodies, huge heads, pin heads, big paws, whip tails. He will fill out eventually - honest!

Haha Trickster, he's definitely go the giant head/giant paws contrasted against a long skinny body, which I think is cute, but I am sure he will eventually even out and become normally proportioned.