hot spot on tail

Thread: hot spot on tail

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaulthot spot on tail

My dog is chewing on his tail and has a bare spot. I have tried apple bitter and also tried wrapping the tail ( that lasted about 10 minutes) any suggestions???

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: hot spot on tail

Elizabethan collar (plastic cone around head) or soft collar (elizabethan collar alternative).

Make sure he doesn't have fleas. If so, do a flea treatment. Gold Bond Medicated powder works wonders on hot spots.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is he biting the base of his tail? fleas typically bite around a dogs rear.

scutter is offline Senior Member

Yes, it is at the base of the tail, I am using K9 advantix and haven't seen any fleas but have never had this problem before. He is shedding bad right now and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Not only am I concerned about his being uncomfortable. But also am concerned about getting the hair back for hunting season. I wonder how long I would have to keep the special collar on Him? He would not be able to get in and out of his dog house with a collar on him. I may have to consider letting him stay in the house during the day.

Is there any special treatment that the vet would do beyond some of the common cures??

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scutter
    Yes, it is at the base of the tail, I am using K9 advantix and haven't seen any fleas but have never had this problem before. He is shedding bad right now and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Not only am I concerned about his being uncomfortable. But also am concerned about getting the hair back for hunting season. I wonder how long I would have to keep the special collar on Him? He would not be able to get in and out of his dog house with a collar on him. I may have to consider letting him stay in the house during the day.

Is there any special treatment that the vet would do beyond some of the common cures??

Thanks

Benelli's buddy
    If it's a hot spot, there's a OTC spray-on product that the vet will give for it. You spray it on 2 or 3 times a day and it acts pretty quickly- both clearing it up and stopping the itching (I can't remember the name, I'm sure somebody else will post what it is).

You may not have to use the collar depending on how extensive the hot spot is.