Fluid in ears

Thread: Fluid in ears

DefaultFluid in ears

Scarlet is scratching her ears more often and when I rub them I hear fluid inside. Does she have an infection or am I just paranoid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fluid in ears

You need to use an ear cleaner with a drying agent.

Is there any odor to the ears? Do you see any redness? If so it could be an infection.

I use 1/3 water, 1/3 white viniger, and 1/3 alcohol (or witch hazel - milder for young pups).

Shake well and put on cotton pads and clean the ear. This should help dry them out.

You can also start with a dry cotton pad to absorb some of the liquid from the ears first.

If there is an infection I know breeders that use the following for quick results:

16 oz. witch hazel
    4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    16 drops tea tree oil. (or 16 drops of gentian violet)

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
    I'll give it a shot. There are no other symptoms yet but I'll keep an eye on her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    I use 1/3 water, 1/3 white viniger, and 1/3 alcohol (or witch hazel - milder for young pups).
    Shake well and put on cotton pads and clean the ear. This should help dry them out.

16 oz. witch hazel
    My dog has weird ears. Her left ear gets dirty/goopy but her right ear never needs cleaning. Are the above recipes only useable if they're infected? or could I use witch hazel and tea tree oil just to clean her ears? I admit, I don't clean her ears once a week, like the groomer told me, but I will clean them about once a month. I notice she shakes her head a lot more if her left ear is particularly dirty.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kluane
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors

16 oz. witch hazel
    My dog has weird ears. Her left ear gets dirty/goopy but her right ear never needs cleaning. Are the above recipes only useable if they're infected? or could I use witch hazel and tea tree oil just to clean her ears? I admit, I don't clean her ears once a week, like the groomer told me, but I will clean them about once a month. I notice she shakes her head a lot more if her left ear is particularly dirty.
    The first recipe I gave is for cleaning. I have never used the other recipe but it is more for when you see an irritation or infection (redness) coming on.

If your dog has an issue with the one ear she may be harboring yeast (this could happen in both ears as well). I would try giving her some apple cider viniger in her food daily with water added. Start with 1/4 tspn to get her used to the taste and get up to 1 tbspn daily.

As far as cleaning I try to do it every 10 days to 2 weeks. I at least scope the ears and if no cleaning is necessary I leave it alone.

You don't want to over clean as removing all the wax constantly is not good. It is there for a reason. Had this conversation with my vet recently and he agreed.