symptoms of bladder infection?

Thread: symptoms of bladder infection?

Defaultsymptoms of bladder infection?

Hi. Our 10 month old lab has been "dribbling" a lot lately. Two days ago she wet her bed during a nap--a small amount if you compare it to her normal urine output when we let her outside, but more than a dribble. Prior to this we've seen very small puddles or drops on our hardwood floors which we have typically associated with over-excitement as there have always been guests in the home when this occured. I've also seen dribbling on our couch after a long, deep nap--like she was so relaxed it just seeped out.

Some history: she does pee when she greets her favorite people: most everyone says this is normal and will outgrow this. She has already been spayed and we did have some complications but we believe she is fine now. Two weeks ago after several stressful days for her (5 guests in the house, new schedule/chaos, and 2 days at doggie day care) we noticed a cough. The vet confirmed it was kennel cough and she was running a slight fever (104 and we were told normal for her is 102) She was on several different medications and still has one day left of her 10 day course of antibiotics. She does like her water and when she was a small pup we were concerned. Now, however, water seems to be consumed exactly like you would expect: after coming inside from playing or a walk.

I give all of this history as background for: what are the signs for a bladder infection? Is it possible she's had this all along and simply never been diagnosed? Why would an apparently healthy dog overall get a bladder infection? She spends 9 hours/night in her crate is that too long for her to hold her bladder--despite no apparent distress signs from her?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated as I simply want to do the right thing for her. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: symptoms of bladder infection?

Are you sure maybe its not from the spay? I know some females have trouble sometimes after they are spayed. If she was peeing a lot and her water intake is still regular I would have her checked. Are you withholding water from her during the day? That can cause crystals in the urine.

Hopefully someone else with better advice will follow soon

georgie is offline Senior Member

Did your vet do a urine culture? It could be a UTI. If she has been on antibiotics....maybe doing a culture will see if the medication is the right one for a UTI. Good luck. Sometimes females will get incontinence after spaying.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would take a urine sample to the vet. First sample of the morning prior to food or water caught in mid streem.

To check PH, specific gravity and for any possible crystals.

No need to take the dog in (unless the vet requires it) - just the sample.

DefaultRe: symptoms of bladder infection/update

An update for future readers: we took Sammy into the vet 2 days after we started noticing the symptoms (it was over Labor weekend when we began to get concerned) She did have a bladder infection and the vet also put her on decreasing doses of hormones. His philosophy was that due to her spay her hormornes could be slightly out of wack.

I'm not sure how much I agree or disagree with his diagnosis but we decided to go ahead with the antibiotics as well as the hormones. (Hormone pills one/day for 3 days, then every other day for 3 days then every 3rd day for 3 days.)

If symptoms return I will post again.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update. I hope Sammy does well.