Swimming & Ear Care

Thread: Swimming & Ear Care

Azusateach is offline Member

DefaultSwimming & Ear Care

I've taken Jed to the beach a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. When we get home I douse his ears with epi-otic, hoping that they'll both clean them out & kind of dry them, too (because of the alcohol in it). Is there anything other than what I'm doing that would be good at keeping his ears clean and "goop"-free?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Swimming & Ear Care

I used to go to a holistic vet originally from Sicily who told me the best thing to do before swimming was put a few drops of castor oil in both ears. He recommended this as a preventative before swimming as opposed to trying to treat it after a dog has gone swimming. He also told me that using an alcohol based product to rinse out their ears too often could cause other problems.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I do nothing but let them shake it out. Maybe once and a while towel them out.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK gets a paper towel poked into his ears to dry them when we get home, and then a treatment with the ear wash the vet gave (sold) to us. So far no ear issues. Although she just started to swim this past Thursday, she has been in the water at least once a week for several months, and has had no issues with sticking her whole head in the water.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Caseys Mom Guest

Casey swims almost every day from May to October. I've never treated her ears with anything and - knock on wood - she's never had any ear problems.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you keep up on ear cleaning on a regular basis than just drying the ears after swimming should be enough.

I learned something from my vet recently - something I had heard and he confirmed it:

Over cleaning of the ears can be detrimental. I know for me when I clean I want the ears to be spic and span. However, wax is there for a reason and constantly removing it all is not good.

A vet tech also told me that the more you clean the more wax developes. Didn't get a chance to ask the vet himself - but you may want to ask your vet.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I swim my dogs 2-3 times a week from May to October. I just dry the ears after swimming. I only do ear cleaning when it's needed Excessive head shaking and rubbing their ears on the floor, etc is my cue to take a peek at their ears.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.