I'm feeling conflicted re:food can someone advise?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm feeling conflicted re:food can someone advise?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm feeling conflicted re:food can someone advise?

I keep telling myself "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

yah yah. BUT.

I want to switch Baloo's food. (and Peanut's, but she doesn't carry the consequences that his switch will.)

Here's the situation:

Baloo is on TLC (http://tlcpetfood.com/pet_food/dogfood/index.asp). It's a good food, and he's doing well on it (poop a little soft at times, other than that no complaints.) But I want to switch him to Orijen. It is a MUCH better food, IMO, not only ingredients-wise (which is significant, grain-free!), but it's canadian, and I'm on a real "support local food sources" kick.

Also, you can only order TLC online and I'm sick of always having to put dog food on my credit card. I would much rather just go to the store and get it, I don't like this order-then-delivery business. More convenient my arse. >

Check out the back-to-back ingredients list, and you'll see what I mean.

TLC
    Lamb Meal , Poultry Meal , Brewers Rice , Oatmeal , Wheat , Poultry Fat , Apple Pomace , Corn Gluten Meal , Fresh Chicken , Whole ground flax seed , Natural Flavors , Dried Whole Egg , Yeast Culture , Salt , Potassium Chloride , Kelp Meal , Choline Chloride , Yucca Schidigera Extract , Garlic , Zinc oxide , Vitamin A , Vitamin D , Vitamin E , Ferrous Sulphate , Zinc Proteinate , Tomato Powder , Lecithin , Thyme , Cassia , Anise , Rosemary Extract , Chamomile , Horseradish , Juniper , Thiamine Mononitrate , Calcium Iodate , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Calcium Pantothenate , Copper Sulphate , Riboflavin , Niacin , Vitamin B12 , Biotin , Sodium Selenite , Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex , Manganese Oxide , Folic Acid , Cobalt Carbonate
    Orijen:
    FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
    Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
    Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS
    Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
    Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS
    Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.
    So, obviously, Orijen is the superior food, for many reasons.

Now, here's the big BUT. Baloo's health contract with the breeder states that he must remain on TLC in order for the guarantee to be in effect. I think that part of the reason for this is because she gets a discount on her food by me buying TLC because she "referred" me, know what I mean?

And, the guarantee, if I remember correctly, states that if we have to put him down for health reasons (these were listed in more detail) in the first two years, she will provide us with a replacement pup.

The way I'm thinking, if I have to put him down in the first two years because of whatever, I will not want a "replacement pup." Especially from that breeder. : :-\ So what good is that "guarantee" to me anyways? (I'm really starting to see a lot of little "issues" with our breeder...... hindsight is 20/20 indeed... :-[)

So basically, what do you think? Should I switch? Just try it out for awhile and see..??

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I'm feeling conflicted re:food can someone advise?

First of all a question. What is a health contract? and why is it important? I've heard of the other kind of guarantees. But I think if there is a food that will be better for your pet I would want to try it. I always thought Science Diet was the best. Even our Vet does do. I know, I know....that's what they push. But we switched to Natural Balance Ultra. And it's done marvelous for his coat.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by penzpurlz
    First of all a question. What is a health contract? and why is it important?
    It basically is something stating that if anyone of *these listed things* (i.e. severe hip dysplasia, some other horrible genetic problem, etc) goes wrong with your dog, we'll give you a replacement one.

So by switching his food (to anything other than TLC), I would basically be throwing that away. But I don't think that I really mind that.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

We didn't get any kind of guarantee with Duke. I didn't even get his AKC papers. We really didn't care. He was for us...a family pet. I do see the importance of the breeding and certain guarantees, but once you bring that baby home you want whatever is best for him. And God forbid anything goes wrong, like you said you would not want a replacement pup, because nothing would replace what you had.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Kate, how would Baloo's breeder know if you stopped feeding the TLC?

I have never heard of a health contract, either. I don't really like the idea of someone even if it is the breeder telling me what I can and can't feed my dog for the first two years of it's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    My guess is that it would only come in to play *if* I went to cash in on the "guarantee".  :P

I think that TLC probably has a record of everyone who orders from them, and because you can't just buy it in stores, it wouldn't be hard to figure out who stopped/started feeding it and when.....

To be fair, she said that the reason why the health contract was dependent on the food that was being fed is to ensure that diet wasn't the cause of whatever problem may come up (because she feels it is a superior product). In the same way that the guarantee would be void if, say, you had a dog that ended up with severe hip dysplasia and you had been running with them or doing a lot of high impact activity while the dog was growing, does that make sense? The way I looked at it at the time was if I was a breeder and one of my dogs came up sick with *whatever*, I'd be pretty pissed to find out the owners were feeding it "kibbles n bits" or the like, know what I mean..? I also think a big part of the motivation is the savings for her, as well.  :-\

I dunno. I just spent the majority of my nightshift reading about Orijen, comparing to TLC on many different levels, and it's looking awfully good right about now. 

Kate
    We're Superdogs!

You could talk to the breeder about it.

She's been reasonable and responsible so far- I mean, you haven't found out later that Baloo's dad was actually a Silver doodle without OFAs, right ?

Just explain what you explained here (without the discount part)- if her purpose is actually to keep the puppies on a high quality food, having Baloo go on Orijen is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    My guess is that it would only come in to play *if* I went to cash in on the "guarantee". :P
    Yep, particularly, if you got lawyers involved. I would imagine it happens more with dogs sold as show prospects.

LOL @ Ed!!

I agree with the others... it's not like you're switching Baloo off TLC to Ol'Roy. And, what's the likelihood that you would trade Baloo for anything?? if god forbid he were to develop one of those conditions?

Orijen is an amazing food. I think I, like you, like it so much more because it is Canadian, with Canadian ingredients ONLY and it's all made in their dedicated plant in Alberta. I switched Henry off full-time raw to 1 meal Orijen, 1 meal raw, and the only difference is he's gained a bit of weight (still playing with the amounts), but poops are still as good, if not better, and his itchies are gone.

Do what you think is best for Baloo!

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Just MHO here, but it seems to me that if a breeder requires a certain food it's because it works well for the dogs in their line, not because they want to limit food choices or because they're getting a kick back (although that might be an added bonus). If you have a contract that states a specific food, I would stick with it- at least for the contract period. As good as another food may look, it's not worth the hassle or the risk. Besides, trying to fix something that isn't broke could just end up breaking it- in more ways than one.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

IF the health guarantee is an issue for you there is one thing thats probably likely... TLC probably has a breeder program and when you purchase that food the breeder gets a kick back and most likely gets some kind of report on who purchases the food. Just an off hand comment about TLC....it has corn gluten meal which I beleve was one of the items resposible for food recalls some months back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast